Prolouge

"Dad, where are you?!" I called as I walked down the stairs. Usually he would have went up to my room and woken me up at five, but today he didn't. The one and only time he had ever done this before, he told me that my grandmother died. Hopefully, this wasn't a sign of more bad news.

"In the kitchen!" He yelled. I hopped off the second step and walked quietly into the kitchen. I sat down at the island and looked at my down wondering who would speak first. "I'm sorry I didn't wake you up this morning, I have a lot on my mind."

"Like what dad? Anything I should be concerned about?" Ever since Jacob went off to college and now is out and on his own, dad told me everything. I don't know why he trusts me so much, but it's a great feeling.

"Well, you see, in life things happen. That you don't intend to happen. You don't really want them to, but they do anyway. Well, you know how I auditioned for the lead in that movie? I got the lead role." He explained putting breakfast in front of me.

"That's great! I'm so happy for you!"I said throwing my arms around him. He stiffened.

"There's one problem... The movie, is being filmed in Japan." He said quietly. Almost as if he didn't want me to hear it.

"Japan? That's fine, I've always wanted to go to Asia." I said. Japan has so many amazing things that I want to see. The culture, the music, the language. Everything fascinated me, I was thrilled! I'm going to Japan!

"Honey, I think you misunderstood. You can't go. It's just me. No one else." He said even quieter.

"What?" I said. I heard him perfectly clearly, but I don't want to believe that my dad is going half way around the world without me.

"I'm sorry sweetie, it's just the way it is." He said and got up from the chair he was sitting in. "Your getting picked up at school today by Ben. He used to be our neighbor before Jack moved in. He lives in Maine now. He has a huge house, kids to keep you busy, a pool, a hot tub. His house is amazing, just give it a try, please."

"Do I have any other choice?" I asked with an attitude.

He gave me a stern look, one that told me to watch my mouth. He didn't like when I talked back to him. "No."

"Please dad! Let me come with you! I won't be any trouble, promise!" I begged. I didn't want to live in Maine, for any amount of time. I didn't know them and if they had any sons, that'd be awkward.

"No, Zoe. That's the end of this discussion. I'm going to Japan, while you go to Maine. The movie could take anywhere from two to five years. I'll see you then." He said. He got up, washed his plate from breakfast, grabbed his coffee and left the kitchen.

I groaned loudly. I don't want to go to Maine. Not one bit. But once my dad makes up his mind about something, no one could argue.

I finished my breakfast and went out to my bus stop. I may be 16, but I don't have a license yet. Maybe I'll get one in Maine.

The school day went by fast, abnormally fast. But given, it was the first day. I looked it up in the library, and all of Maine didn't start school until next week. I didn't understand why I had to go to school today when I would just have another first day next week. But it was my fathers orders and I couldn't disobey him. I told all my friends, including my best friend of nine years, Cassie. She didn't take it too well.

"Your what?!?!" She shrieked during lunch. Everyone in the cafe turned toward us, hoping for some juicy gossip.

"Shut up!" I said. She was so damn loud sometimes. "I'm moving to Maine with my dad's best friend. I'm not thrilled about it, trust me."