Chapter One: Encounter

One

Encounter 

That awkward moment you get when you accidentally make an eye contact with a beautiful woman.  Thoughts inside my head started to process that she might be thinking that I like her.  I've seen her with a guy, sweetly cuddling on a park bench.  I know she's seeing someone else.  But, at this encounter, I felt like she wanted to tell me something but she couldn't bring herself to talk to me.

     Watching her feed the swans by the pond, I rested my arms on the black railing that separated humans from the preserved species.  "Winter is beginning to insinuate," I began, hoping that it would start a conversation.

     She glanced at me as she threw some corn bits into the water.  "It certainly is," she smiled.

     I felt relieved that it worked.  Somehow, I don't know how to continue our hanging conversation.

     She glanced at me with her unfading smile.  "I always catch you looking at me," she said as she watched the swans swim about as they pecked on the food she threw.

     Her unexpected upfront remark caught me off-guard.  "Well, ah..." I rubbed the back of my neck with hesitation.

     She has thrown all the contents of her palm into the surface and started her way towards me.  "Why is that?" she asked quizically with a playful brow raised.

     I looked down and chuckled.  I dropped my hand to my side and shoved it inside my pocket then, gave her an indistinct shrug.  "I don't know."

     She giggled and looked down to her shiny black pumps then, to me.  "That's interesting."  She turned and left.  Her petite figure lost in the corwded park.

     My mind snapped back into realization that I wasn't able to get her name.  That's alright though, I know that I'll be seeing her again in this very place.