Chapter Ten: Uncertainty

Ten

Uncertainty

I drove Amanda back to her home.  We said our goodbyes and I watched her go inside until she was safe.  I focused my mind to driving to Hazel and apologize.  I knew that it was wrong for me to talk to her that way yesterday.  I shouldn't have brought up such notions just like that.  I should be thankful enough to have her back.

     I knocked on her door and was greeted by her mother whom I haven't seen since the day she handed me Hazel's letter.  Her curly hair continued to gray and remained short.  She flashed her wrinkly smile as I imagine Hazel inheriting them, it sent a warm feeling inside.

     "Tyler," she said.  "What brings you here?"

     "Is Hazel home?" I asked.

     Her smile faded and her expression morphed into worry.  "I thought she was with you," she said as she brought a hand to her mouth in fear.

     I tried to look as relaxed as I could muster.  "She must be in the apartment."

     She studied me for a moment.  "Is everything alright, dear?"

     I nodded.  "We just had a tiny feud," I forced a thin smile.  "Nothing serious."

     She nodded.  "Let me know when you see her.  She hasn't been home since last night."

     "I was with her last night," I informed.

     She nodded once more, looking slightly at ease.  "That's good to know."

     "I'll be going now," I said as I jutted a thumb back to my truck as I walked backwards to its direction.

     She nodded for the last time before heading inside.

     I started my engine and felt my heart beating faster and faster with angst as though something wasn't right.  I stopped by the crumbling edifice.  I traveled as fast as I could, without running, up to our room.  I ran my eyes around the apartment and just as I have feared.

     There was no sign of her.

     I immediately ran back to my truck and drove around town.  When, I was about to give up, a familiar figure stood by the marina, her blond hair flew to the wind's direction.

     I parked the truck out of the way and slowly walked towards the figure.

     "Hazel, what are you doing here?"

     When she didn't respond, I touched her shoulder and carefully turned her to face me.  Her eyes was filled with tears.  The way how painful she looked hit inside of me.  I placed a palm on her arm and the other on her face as I stared straight into her eyes, trying to penetrate her thoughts.

     "What's wrong?"

     Another tear escaped her eye.  "I thought everything was going okay between us?"

     "I'm sorry, okay?  I just got out of hand yesterday.  I've been going through a lot--"

     "You were with Amanda!"

     Her words left a stain of guilt about my clandestine journey to Throne County with Amanda without letting Hazel know.  Somewhere at the back of my mind, something reminded me that she has the right to know about what's going on with my life again which doesn't feel familiar anymore with what we had two years ago.  My hands slowly fell down to my sides.

     "I..." my words faltered.

     "You what?" she raged.  "I was going home, thinking that everything will be okay soon then, what's this I hear?  You went out with Amanda out of Pensacola going to who-knows-where?"

     When I said nothing, she shook her head in disbelief then, immediately changed mood.  She calmed herself down and tried to swallow back the forthcoming tears.  "I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you the chance to explain."

     "I was just helping her find the killer," I said blankly.

     She closed her eyes and nodded, trying to look convinced.  "Okay.  I'm sorry."

     I pulled her into my arms and enveloped her to an embrace.  "I'm sorry I wasn't able to tell you.  I just don't want you to worry."

     "You only made me worry even more," she sobbed.

     I caressed her hair.  It was a long moment before we decided to get to the Chevy and drive her home.

     We shared a kiss before she got down from the shotgun seat and jogging inside.