Chapter Eight: HERstory

Eight

HERstory 

She asked me to drive her to the place where Michael was killed.  We sat by the edge of the dried fountain and had a peaceful moment alone.

     "It was our anniversary," she began, breaking the silence.  "I overheard him talking to someone on the phone at the park weeks ago after I fed the swans."  She turned to me.  "You were there," she said then, went back to staring at a far distance as though to recall while she continued.  "He was saying something about proposing on our anniversary and I was just so happy," she said with a spark of bliss as though the far memory still made her feel glad.  "When he saw me, I just pretended like I didn't hear."  She paused.  Her voice turned grave.  "Then, one night, everything was taken away from me."

     "I'm sorry," I said sympathetically.

     She face me and jutted her chin towards me.  "How about you?  What's your story?"

     I snorted.  "Nothing."

     "Can't be nothing," she said.  "You've lived this long.  I've got tons but I shared the highlight."

     Somehow, I like the way she talks which made me feel like talking as well.

     "There's this girl..." I began without any certainty where I'm going with this but since she shared about her boyfriend, I guess I'll have to share my part.

     "The girl you were with at the court?" she asked with a pleasing smile.

     I looked down at me feet and nodded.  "Two years ago, we were supposed to move in together.  But on the day I was supposed to pick her up, she left," I paused, trying to ignore the pain that I wasn't sure caused by this morning's argument or the memory of her leaving me.  "Her mother waited for me at their front porch and handed me a hand-written letter by her."

     "That's a shame," she said with pity.  "But, as I can see, I assume you're back together now, right?"

     I nodded then, raised my head up to the open view.

     She sighed with an amazing smile.  "It's amazing how one person can look ordinary yet, their lives have untold remarkable stories."  Then, she turned to me with a soft look.  "I just want to say sorry for getting you into trouble when all you intended to do was help Michael that night."

     I smirked as I looked down.  "That's alright," I can't help but stare right back to her eyes that seemed to be an unwinding road of forever.  "If I were in your place, I would've done the same thing."

     She nodded with a comfortable smile.

     We lingered a little while longer before she spoke up, a little embarrassed. "Can you drive me home?"  she paused, studying me for a little while.  "If it's alright--"

     "Yeah, sure, no problem," I smiled.

     I wish I could drive for miles and miles before I wound up at her door.  I wanted to talk more.  I wanted to know more about her and I wanted to hear her more.  Her voice sounded like a sweet sound of remedy.

     "So, this is where I live," she said, looking at her home.

     "Do you live alone?"

     She turned to me.  "I live with my parents."

     I nodded in comprehension.

     "So, I'll just..." she said awkwardly as she uncertainly motioned to the door.

     "Right, right," I nodded vehemently.  "You should."

     She closed the door behind her.  She walked a few steps before turning back and giving me a little smile then, turned and headed to her front door.  I waited until she was safely inside.  I revved the engine and drove off back to my house.  I parked the truck on the space beside our residence then, headed inside.

     "Where were you, Tyler?  I was worried about you," mother asked, her hand rested on her chest.

     "I've been to the apartment," I said as I went to the kitchen to have a glass of water.

     "Was Hazel with you?"

     "Yes," I said with my back turned while I poured the contents of the pitcher to the glass before turning to her.

     "Oh good," she said in relief.  "Her mother came and she sounded as worried as I was."

     I said nothing as I put the now empty glass on the counter.  I hesitated to tell her about today then, decided that she might be able to help me so I said, "I was with Amanda today."

     Her eyes widened.  "What happened?"

     I shook my head.  "Nothing.  She just shared a piece of her life with me."

     She breathed in relief.  "Oh."

     "I think I'll just head upstairs and get some rest," I said.

     She nodded.  "Okay.  Will you be down for dinner?"

     I considered the thought for a moment.  "Nah.  I'm really tired so I don't think I'll be down until tomorrow."

     She nodded once more.  "I understand.  You've had enough for the past three weeks.  You should get some rest."

     I headed up to my room as my head began to feel heavy.  I lied down on my bed and thought about what happened to me and Hazel this morning.  It was different.  We never had such argument that sent me walking out of the room, leaving her upset.  I guess things do change.  For some reason, Amanda kept on penetrating my thoughts.  The way she smiled and the way she talks reminded me of what Hazel was two years ago.

     Suddenly, my phone buzzed on the old wooden nightstand that has been there ever since.  I checked to see who it was, hoping that it would be Hazel wanting to make amends.  But the text came from an unknown number.

Watch your back.

    Three words haunted me for the rest of the night.  I tried to close my lids but they insisted to be kept open.  I stared out the window on the wall where my bed is attached, wondering if some kind of assassin would climb in and plant a knife to my heart.  I sat up and scanned the familiar view from my room.  Nothing has changed.  The peaceful scene of the neighborhood had somehow comforted me when my eye caught a movement in the shadows.  It was hard to discern what or who it was.  I squinted my eyes, trying to see who it was but the silhouette stood still.  A long moment of staring at the mysterious figure made me realize that he was looking at my direction, watching me.

     The sensation sent a chill down to my spine.  I immediately lied back on my bed and shifted my position to the window's direction.  I'm supposing the mysterious sender knew that I always have my back turned from the window when I sleep.

     Watch your back.  The implication echoed through my mind as I stared out the window, watching the stars twinkle in the dark.