Chapter 2

Buster began to walk into the forest when tons of smells hit his beak.
He spent a very long time looking around, trying to find things that he wouldn't normally see. He was excited to be able to walk endlessly. He looked onto the ground and found a place to scratch. He dug into the ground and quickly found a grub. He snapped it up and went on his way. It wasn't long until he saw a grey shape moving in the brush. He began to move towards it until he lost sight of it.
Buster had begin to turn around to go back to the coop when he heard a horrible racket. It sounded like the halfway point between a crow of a rooster, and the peeping of a chick. Before he could move Buster found himself pinned to the ground on his belly.
"Get off me!" Buster clucked.
He threw off his attacker and turned to see a thin grey cockerel. It couldn't have been much older, or younger than him. The bird looked angry, and Buster remembered that this chicken had attacked him. Buster flung himself at the other chicken. He beat his wings as he kicked, and pecked the other bird.
"Why are you on Flock territory?" The cockerel inquired angrily.
"What? Flock, territory, what does that even mean?" Buster replied.
"It doesn't matter, get out of it now." The grey chicken clucked.
The two birds began circling each other and trying to find a time to strike.
Buster found an opening and swung out his leg. He tripped his opponent and quickly leapt on top of him, pinning him onto his back. The bird struggled, but to no avail, Buster was much heavier, and the young cockerel soon gave up.
"So, now, I think I have a right to speak. My name is Buster, and I don't know what this whole territory idea you have is, but I am no threat to it. I just wanted to go into the woods for awhile okay." Buster clucked.
"Well, if your no threat, you wouldn't mind stepping off of a Flock apprentice." A deep voice croaked.
A large black cockerel, and larger red cockerel stepped out of the brush.
"Oh, okay." Buster clucked. He stepped off of the other chick.
"Well, my name is Longquill, of ThunderFlock." The grey cockerel lowered his head.
"I am Tallcomb." The black cockerel clucked.
"I'm Longspurs." The red cockerel grunted. "Now go. Get off Flock territory."
"What." Buster clucked, surprised at the red rooster's aggression.
"You heard me, get out." Longspurs clucked. "Before I have to make you." The massive rooster stepped forward, his cape beginning to frill out.
"Wait." A new voice announced. A large impressive gold and black rooster showed himself. "This young bird seems different than many. I would like to speak to him."
"Okay, we'll be here, Sunstar." Longspurs clucked.
"Alone." Sunstar replied.
"Fine." The red and black rooster grumbled.
With slow steps, the three cockerels left. Finally, Buster and Sunstar were alone.
"You fought well." Sunstar clucked.
"I sometimes spar with my friend Dusty." Buster replied, scared that he would anger the huge cockerel.
"Hmm, well, you may want to consider joining ThunderFlock." The huge bird suggested.
"Maybe." Buster peeped, turning his head to nervously face his wing.
"If you decide to join, meet me here tomorrow at Sunhigh." Sunstar suggested.
"Sure." Buster replied.
Buster then turned for home.
"Where have you been?" Dusty clucked inquisitively.
"In the forest." Buster replied, trying to not draw attention to himself.
"Well, you better show yourself to Willow, before she kills me for not knowing where you were." Dusty peeped.
"I'll go find her." Buster clucked remembering his mother.
"Where have you been?" Willow clucked angrily.
"I've just been in the woods." Buster replied.
"Well, why didn't you tell me?" Willow chided. "I'm your mother."
"I don't know. I just wanted to clear my head, before I knew anything I had been away all day." Buster explained.
"I can't believe you would just leave without telling me, what if you had been eaten by a fox." Willow squawked.
"I don't know." Buster peeped.
"I'm your mother, I've lost your father, I can't lose you as well.
"I'm sorry." Buster looked down.
"I just need to protect you, it's my job."
"Okay, I understand." Buster peeped
"Well, I would get to sleep." Willow clucked.
"Okay mother." Buster nodded.
When Buster found the sleeping spot he noticed Dusty was already inside.
"So, Willow didn't kill you." Dusty joked.
"No, she didn't, but we need to talk." Buster peeped.
"About what?" Dusty tilted his head.
"Well, I'm going to live in the forest." Buster clucked.
"What?" Dusty flapped his little wings. "Why would you ever want to do that. There hawks, and foxes, and wild cats."
"I know, but I met a few chickens in the woods today, they offered me a home among them, I think that means something." Buster explained.
"Well, I guess you've made your mind up." Dusty peeped.
The two young cockerels then got to sleep for their last night together as members of the same group.