Chapter 7

The group of apprentices began to speak on their way to the Gathering.
"Wait, I just remembered what Snowquill had said, is it true that I look like that small?"
"Well, sorry, but yes, you look like a bantam."
"A what?" Nightquill peeped.
"A bantam. Nowings group chickens that look a certain way into groups. Certain chickens I guess they like more to get eggs from or," Sunquill shuddered. "To eat. Certain chickens that look a lot alike are all grouped together into groups called breeds."
"Okay, but what is a bantam?" Longquill peeped.
"Bantams are a group of breeds that are pretty much supposed to be small, dainty, and cute." Sunquill peeped. "The farmer that I used to live with had a bantam hen, and she looked weird, she had black eyes and was bone white, except her feathers bordered in black, and some bantams have five toes on each foot, and some are covered head to toe in fluff, and have black skin and blue earlobes." Sunquill finished.
"Wow, thanks for your encouragement." Longquill peeped sarcastically.
"Wait, so what breed are you?" Oakquill inquired, genuinely curious.
"In not part of a breed, I'm a mix, so we're my mother and father. Only a few of the birds in my old flock were actually part of breeds." Sunquill answered.
"That's pretty cool." Oakquill replied.
"No it's not!" Redquill hissed at the group. "Pettyhens are our enemies, and your speaking of them like that doesn't even matter!"
"Oh come on, we're learning about something new, who knows whether or not this will help us." Nightquill replied.
"Oh really, your just chattering like sparrows." The little red hen peeped back.
"You look like a sparrow." Longquill peeped back.
"How so exactly, as if you've even seen a sparrow, as bad of a hunter you are you've probably never seen one up close." Redquill chirped.
"Oh you want to peep about hunting, who's the one that killed that jay the other day?" Longquill replied.
"Yeah in order to save that pettyhen." Redquill peeped, pointing her beak at Sunquill.
"Oh, you mean the same pettyhen that kicked your tail feathers in a fight the day he joined the Flock!" Sunquill peeped loudly, sick of Redquill referring to him, and his heritage like a pile of moldy seed.
"Oh! Great Starflock." Longquill peeped way too loudly, as Redquill's little comb went blood red, and she strutted away.
"Alright, alright." A hen clucked from in front of them.
"Oh, sorry Longbeak, exactly how much of that did you hear?" Longquill peeped.
"Only the part where you used Starflock's name in  vain at a Gathering, and either way, I have reason to believe it is starting."
As the hen said this the leaders perched on the branches of a very large tree began to stir.