Building a Bridge

Around mid day I reached one of the border villages that was closest to the
border river separating us from them. I greeted the village elder and informed him why I was here and what my mission was. I left my horse in a stable and bought some rations before heading out on foot. I started the trek through the forest sticking to the shadows and paying close attention to my surroundings. Who know what kind of traps are out here. After trekking through the woods I make it to the edge of the treeline, hearing the rushing of the river ahead. This is it. I scale a tree that could hide me and hold my weight. I peak out scanning the area. I didn't see anyone and the only thing I could hear was the water rushing below me. How was I going to get across? The river was too wide to jump and the water was rushing too fast to risk swimming, I would drown. I could try and find a narrower spot in the river but that could take the rest of the day... But I couldn't see any other option working in my favor.

I climbed down from my perch and began heading north, staying hidden in the trees , searching for a narrow spot in the river or even a shallow spot. I stay hidden in the shadows sneaking along the tree line avoiding being seen. I need to find a place to cross the river soon. I don't need the darkness sneaking up on me and adding more problems. I continue on and eventually find a tree that is leaning across the river, I figure if I cut down the tree it would reach almost across the river. Making it at least a little bit safer, I notice a shallower patch in the bend of the river. So I set to work, chopping down the tree. Eventually I have enough cut down that I can push it over, I attach my ax to my waist and push. I grit my teeth pushing hard against the trunk of the tree. It moves a little but not enough. I take a breath and shove again and again, eventually the tree groans and snaps- falling across the river. I swing my bag over my shoulder and climb my way up onto my new bridge. The rushing of the water, makes the log slick and I have to slowly inch my way across the tree. I was almost there when I lost my footing and my foot slipped off the log. I grunted feeling the roughness of the bark as I slammed into it. I clung tightly to the log, holding myself up away from the water that was splashing against my face. I inch my body back onto the top of the log and slowly rise back up to my feet. I crawl across the log until I reach the end, I toss my pack across and onto the sand bank and roll my shoulders knowing this isn't going to be a smooth landing. I edge back a little and take a slight running start before leaping off the log and towards the bank. I dive forward, rolling over my shoulder and up into a crouch. I roll out my shoulder and hiss a little feeling the cuts and the gravel imbedded in my shoulder. I ignore the slight burn in my shoulder, quickly grabbing my pack and scaling the rocks. I need to get out of the open and find somewhere to catch my breath, I find a tree with a hole and squeeze myself in, I j need to pick out the gravel and move on. I pick out the rocks and then tightly bandage up my shoulder so the blood will clot and it will heal.

I climb out of the tree and begin making my way towards the mountain knowing that's where I'll find them and be able to try and take numbers. I find a clearing and scan the area, there's some sort of wall up ahead. I stay in the shadows and examine the wall, it looks like it used to be some kind of door or something. I cut away at the vines trying to find a way to open the door. I swing my knife down against the vines and hear a clang of metal on metal. I pull away at the vines and find a handle. I scribble down some notes and a map in my journal before yanking on the handle, the door opens with a groan. I open it the best I can and enter into the darkness, I pull a cloth over my nose and my mouth to filter out the dust that flies up into the air. This place looks a bit abandoned... I light a torch and start to explore the large room there's metal contraptions line along the walls that are coated in layers of dirt and grime. I continue on, towards the back of the room and find a narrow hallway, I continue mapping my way through the maze following the signs and taking notes, this could lead us to the Maunon (Mountain Men). I reach another door but this one won't open. It has some sort of screen attached to the wall, I can't figure out how to open it. I draw a small sketch of it in my journal and then head back the way I came, using chalk to mark the directions. I shut the door I came in from and continue to scout the area. I find a few more areas that could be used as entrances or paths to get into their camp. In the mountain. Around dusk I came across a reaper camp. There was maybe four or five too many for me to take out alone, I started a count in my book so I would know how many we should expect to find in the area. I quickly headed back towards the bridge, knowing it would be night soon I think I had a decent scouting trip and Heda would be pleased. I made it back to the Trikru camp and settled in for the night.

When the sun begins to rise I'm up and thanking the clan for their help, I pack up my belongings and head home to Polis. I reach Polis around 3 in the afternoon and I hand over my horse to a stable boy before returning to the capital. I would need to speak to Heda soon, but first a bath. I smelled crudely and I was covered in dirt and my clothes were sticky with sweat. I got cleaned up and slipped into a fresh slip and combed through my hair braiding it back as I usually do. I grab my journal and head to Heda's room to brief her of my findings. I knock on the door and wait. "Enter." She calls out. I open the door and enter quietly bowing my head. "Lacey." She greets me. "You made good time. Come. Sit. " Lexa gestures to the chair opposite her and near the fire that's crackling. "What news do you bring?"

"Good evening Heda. Yes, I tried to be quick...." I filled her in on all I had discovered and shared my maps and sketches with her exposing the possible weaknesses in their fortress and possible pats into the mountain.