1- One - 1

I crept into the alley, patting my pocket silently. It was still there, just like I knew it would be. Its contents were still there as well, which I knew already since every time I took a step they smacked my leg. Why I felt the need to check, I have no clue. Must have been nerves.

But I digress.

"Bill?" I called, my throat feeling dry. I knew that Bill was just an alias. I knew that I'd never know his true name.

"Shut up!" I heard a man hiss from the shadows. I complied and stepped toward the sound of the voice, my face fully illuminated by the sunset.

I heard shuffling, presumably 'Bill' rifling through his bag. I waited patiently for a few moments before he handed a folder to me. I took it without a moment of hesitation.

"How much?" I questioned, looking from the folder back to the shadow.

"The same amount I promised you. Now scram." His voice cracked slightly. I could tell by his voice that this man was much younger than me.

"This wasn't the deal. I thought I made it clear that I want my payment up front."

'Bill' was silent for a few moments. I narrowed my eyes and moved my hand to my pocket.

"That won't be necessary," Bill laughed. I huffed, moving my hand back to my side.

"We made a deal," I demured.

"Yeah, yeah," he mocked. "I'm afraid I can't give you the money right now."

I narrowed my eyes again. "Then I'm afraid I can't do this for you," I countered, threatening to drop the folder in a puddle on the dirty ground.

"No, don't!" He protested. I looked back at the shadow.

"Why shouldn't I?"

"I'll give you the money. After."

I rolled my eyes. "You think I haven't heard that before?"

"I'm serious."

"I am too," I growled, narrowing my eyes again. "Do you know the price of a human life?"

He was quiet.

"It ain't free," I muttered.

"I need this to be done!"

"Give me the money or I'm calling the cops," I threatened.

Another few moments of silence. "Y-You can't do that."

"I sure as hell can. Money. Now."

I heard him rifiling trough his bag again and smiled. "Good boy."

"Don't call me that," he muttered, before a hand reached out from the shadows, holding wads of cash, mostly hundred dollar bills.

I took the wad of money, straightening it out and counting it. I narrowed my eyes again.

"You're about five hundred short, bud."

"It's all I have!" He begged, losing his false act of toughness.

"Not enough," I declared, handing his money and folder back to him. He grunted and accepted them.

"Don't waste my time again," I threatened, walking out of the alley without looking back.