A Little Bit of Sunshine

~Now~

Clearly, that prayer did no good for me. Mom and Dad finally got... well you know, divorced. I decided to stay with my mom because I believe it was my dad's fault.

And, I knew that he wouldn't change. If he could still ignore me and have Corinth Baptist as as number one on his list of importance.

If he could do his wife, his supposed love of his life, he could do it to his only child. 

Also, mom did get sick again and she passed away. It was so hard for me because I was always there for her. And even though my parents were separated at the time she got sick again, I honestly thought it was a little hard on my dad.

You'd think it's impossible, but he managed to occupy himself even more. So, I guess you can say he was more like my pastor than my dad. Except, I think I saw my pastor at Crossing Jordan in Sinca then I did him. 

Why did all this stuff happen to me? I have absolutely no idea. But they do say everything happens for a reason, right? I'm hoping this mysterious plan of His will work out for me. I'd say I deserve a good life.

During my long drive from Sinca back to Veila, I took the opportunity to think things over. Over these seven years, I'm hoping there will be at least a little change. I'm just praying that my dad is a changed man. I need him now more than ever.

Another thing that I hope has changed is the people at school. Since I'm moving back home I have to go back to Palmer. Am I excited to go back? Of course not! But I'm a strong woman, like my mother, so I think I can handle those rodents one more year.

One thing I definitely hope hasn't changed is Devon. He was always the one to make my day that was full of darkness just a little bright. I wonder what he looks like now...?

I'm now parked in front of the house. I get me out of the car and grab a few bags of mine from the back and head up the small amount of stairs that lead up to the front porch. I finally know on the door.

I know this may be weird, but my heart's beating pretty fast. I feel like as if I'm meeting a stranger for the first time, but it's my father for Christ's sake! Then again... it has been 7 years.

I give myself a little smack to the face to get back to reality. I need to compose myself.

I finally see a grey shadow coming towards the door.

"Here comes my dad!" I mumble to myself.

The door opens with a tall fit man with his usual suit and surprisingly a tie that I had gotten him for Christmas one year. Mom helped me pick it out. I was smiling inside.

"Hi darling!"

"Hey Dad."

He puts me in this big ol' bear hug. I'm talking about the one where you feel like you're going to pass out from not being able to breathe. 

"Well come on in honey, no need to stay out here in this summer heat!"

"Thanks."

He moved to the side so that I could can come through the door and slide right by him. I went straight into the living room and sat in the love seat. He sat across from me on the couch.

"So honey, tell me, how was the trip?" He says with a look of pure interest.

"Ummmm, it was okay. But next time I travel, please remind me not to go through the city of Prepston again!" I respond.

He gives me a confused look. "Why is that?"

As I took a big breath to begin my chilling experience, he put his hand up to stop me before I began.