Chapter 4: Neglect

Title: Chapter 4: Neglect

Author: DarkHeavensAngel

Suggested Listening to:   Almost Lover by A Fine Frenzy (youtube video to the lower right of page)

WARNING: A bullying scene and some curse/offensive words.

POV: First Person: Andy's POV

A/N:  Err... not very much to say actually... but um, it's a pretty angsty chapter and I don't know what happened... D:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s almost been a year now since mum had moved to New York after the divorce. Abby and I both decided to stay with dad. I felt really bad that mum wasn’t chosen at all. After she left us, I was put in charge of most of the cooking while Abby took the other house chores. Sometimes dad would do those, but he usually got home late and still had to work. Sometimes I feel like I don’t even have a dad anymore.

Derek and I are in sophomore year of high school now. Abby moved into my school as well for 8th grade. This made things way easier when we had to walk home together. Ashley, my neighbor across the street as well as my best childhood friend, moved to my school as well. It was really wonderful to be able to stay with everyone.

But lately, I’ve been feeling…lonely. Abby rarely ever walks home with me anymore. She always walks with her other friends and they go to the library or something. Ashley got herself a boyfriend, Victor. That’s right, the bully that cornered me in the restroom on the first day of school I had here.

Even though, Victor used to bully me, he changed a great deal. It was all mostly for Ashley. She scolded him for bullying me. She’s known as the hothead and takes her chances. She doesn’t care if you’re a foot taller than her and ten times stronger. If she thinks something isn’t right, she’ll say it to your face.

That’s what Victor liked about her, I guess. He’s like a wild lion that got tamed by Ashley. It’s funny sometimes when we talk about it. He treats me like his buddy now too. Instead of bullying me, he and his gang make sure the others don’t touch me. But those are all Ashley’s orders…

Derek was a whole different story. We used to be all lovey-dovey and nice, but now… Derek seemed distant. We started drifting apart after we started our sophomore year. He rarely walks home with me as well. He’s always ‘too busy working on projects with other classmates’.

I’m not angry at him or anything. I just…want to have more time with him. I always spend holidays and birthdays alone…It’s like I don’t have a boyfriend anymore. But I don’t stop trying. I still love Derek all the same and won’t give up on him until he gives up on me.

My thoughts were shattered as the school bell rang, signaling the end of the school day. I slowly pack my stuff and walked to my locker to get everything ready for home.

I went down the hallway and found Derek picking up scattered papers on the floor. I instantly ran over to help him.

“Derek!” I called out to him. I saw him look up at me and smile. I smiled back and started picking up the papers.

“Thanks,” he said with a chuckle. I nodded at him eagerly.

“You… want to walk home together today?”

“Sure, I don’t think I have any clubs today,” he replied and I nearly jumped with joy.

On the way home, I fidgeted because it was so quiet, and all our conversations ended quickly. It’s as if we don’t have anything to talk about. Even strangers would have more topics than us.