24 - I Look Up To The Sky And I See What I Dream

The carriage back to our house wasn't too long, less than ten minutes but it was an awkward silence between me and both Lukes'. As soon as we pulled up outside the house Luke mumbled something about being back in a second and carried the smaller, sleeping one out to the house.

I managed to manoeuvre Laurence onto one shoulder and half get him out the vehicle before Luke joined me and swung Laurence's arm over his shoulder. He tossed some coins at the driver to pay him and mumbled something about telling no one where they had gone, so with a brief nod, he hurtled back down the road to the city. Together me and Luke carried Laurence in, putting him on the couch in the living room and I pulled a blanket over my sleeping...friend? I think that's what we were right now...

I sighed and sat on the floor by the couch, keeping a close eye on him. It wasn't so much that he was hurt, the odd bruise and scratch grazing across his face, but nothing too major. He was probably more exhausted than anything... I was pretty sure he hadn't been fed or watered in the time he was away, so it was more a matter of his strength being built back up whenever he woke up.

Luke didn't stay close to me after we placed Laurence on the couch, and moved across to the other side of the room where the smaller Luke was sleeping on an armchair, his leg propped up on a stool and pillow. He knelt down and took off the boys shoe, inspecting the damage done on his ankle.

"Do you have ice?" he said, his voice giving nothing away as to how he was feeling, "His ankle's swollen."

"Yeah, in the kitchen. It's in a tray in-" I never got to finish as Luke walked quickly out the room and I heard him opening various drawers and cupboards to get everything he needed.

I got why he was being so cold towards me, but quite frankly, it sucked. I sighed and rested my head on the side of the couch, my eyes trained on Laurence in case he woke up or took some kind of turn for the worse.

From the corner of my eye I saw Luke come in with a bag of ice, our small first aid kit and bandages before he turned his attention back to his smaller companion. I felt my hand rise slightly and I took Laurence's hand in mine, squeezing gently before starting to hum softly to him. Before he was taken and all this shit broke out he said that he loved hearing me sing and hum to him, so I thought it might be a good thing for him to wake up to... add a little bit of good in what was happening right now.

My gaze snapped back to Luke as he moved and sat up in a seat which was facing me and Laurence, his stony gaze fixated on us... or more to the point, me. He didn't say anything and didn't move either as he thought over in his head what he was going to say, and  most likely do.

The first things that ran through my head was that he was going to jump over here and punch the living shit out of me, shouting at how I'd screwed everything up and ruined Laurence's life... but none of that came just yet...

After about five minutes of silence he finally opened his mouth to speak but before anything could be said the front door burst open, and the two of us were on our feet with guns in hand ready to attack. But we didn't need to use them as Cyrus ran through...carrying a very limp and pale Drew in his arms.

He didn't so much as give us a look before running up the stairs and into his room, most likely to put Drew down, and seconds later came back down, snatching the bandages and first aid kit from beside Luke and ran straight back up. Nothing was said to us about what was going on.

I jumped over Laurence and the couch, running up after him and I heard Luke following quickly after as we ran into the room.

Drew was lying on the bed, a small trickle of dried up blood coming out the corner of his mouth which was also the only colour on his whole body that I could see of. Cyrus didn't seem to care and immediately started pulling various things out the kit and applying them to Drew's wounds. Neither of us wanted to say that Drew looked too gone for anything to be done - from were I was standing however, his chest wasn't rising.