❥ Chapter 8: Good Morning

He tried to move but he couldn't.

He felt the tight grip of those hands on his shoulders, pinning him down.

He called for help.

But nobody came...

They memory replayed over and over inside his head just like a broken CD.

He looked to his side.

There stood Grillby, just staring coldly and not bothering to take action.

"You let yourself get into this." The bartender whispered, his voice as sharp as a needle.

━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━

Sans gasped for air as his body quickly shot up, waking up him from the nightmare.

Tiny crystal like drops of sweat bathed his forehead.

The skeleton looked to his right, still breathing heavily as if he'd just ran marathon.

There lied Grillby peacefully, his eyes shut as an indication the bartender was probably sound asleep.

Sans lightly blushed and sighed with relief, letting his tired body fall back on the bed frame, inadvertently shaking the bed.

He sat there in silence, just staring off into space.

"...Sans?" Grillby mumbled with concern, waking up and causing Sans to slightly flinch at the jumpscare.

"ah, sorry. i didn't mean to wake you up." Sans apologized.

"That's fine. You okay?" Grillby asked with concern, aware that Sans was never the one to wake up early.

"yeah... i just nearly fell out the bed and jerked awake as a natural instinct." Sans answered quickly.

"Liar." Grillby accused, squinting his eyes at Sans at how stupid that excuse sounded.

"i'm fine, really." Sans reassured, lying back down in the bed and turning to face away from Grillby.

Hesitantly and to Sans' surprise, Grillby pulled Sans into a hug.

The room went silent, and all the two could hear was each others' breathing and their souls beating.

Then out of nowhere, Grillby was first to speak.

"I'm sorry..." he said in a small, slightly quiverish voice.

Sans swiftly turned back around, confused about what Grillby was talking about.

"for?"

"I feel like I failed to you as your friend. I should've intervened sooner." He explained, still avoiding any eye contact.

Sans scoffed.

"grillbz. you literally saved me big time. don't blame yourself for the poor decisions made by others."

"I heard the way he talked to you... I did not like it, and I know it made you uncomfortable. I—"

"grillby. don't blame yourself for my poor decisions." Sans interrupted, sternly.

The two of them remained quiet for a couple minutes.

"you should sleep some more." Sans spoke, realizing how sleep deprived Grillby looked.

His flame was dull, and the vibrant golden hue he usually carried looked a little red orange.

It wasn't hard to determine how the man was feeling, as his flame usually exposed his every truth and lie.