CHAPTER 5 (updated)

CHAPTER 5

I wonder why my ride home seems extra-long, so I decided to pull down the heavily tinted window of my limo to see where we were. I didn’t recognize the road. It was pitch dark.

I haven’t really noticed that it was this late. I took my phone and checked the clock. It was about a quarter to nine! What have I been thinking to not notice this?

I pulled down the window in front of me separating me from Scotty and asked, "Where are we going?" the car reached to a full stop.

"You’ll see, mam" he answered while opening the door for me.

We were walking in a parking space towards a huge building. It felt creepy, but I knew I was safe; I was with about four to five bodyguards including Scotty.

We reached to the front entrance then headed to the narrow hallway pointing to a small door. As Scotty opened the door for me, I was left in awe.

It was our private jet. It’s been a while since I last saw it and I have to admit, I really missed it.

"Where are we going?" I demanded.

"Paris" Scotty answered with a slight excitement in his voice. "Your dad will be waiting for us there."

I tilted my head in confusion.

"I think he needs you for something." He assisted me as I was stepping through the mini staircase to the jet.

A whole flash of thoughts went through my head as the words 'I think he needs you for something' played in my head.

What if my dad wants me to go back? Will I be happy? Will I like it there? What about school? But why Paris when we live in London? Maybe he has a girlfriend? NOOOO! Or even worst, what if he has other kids and he wants to forget about me?

I shook my head in terror. I want to forget everything.

"Ms. Lewis, were almost here."

I woke up and stretched with a big yawn. By peaking through the side window, I realized that it was already morning. My head instantly swarmed with the whole bunch of thoughts I dreaded.

I felt nervous, anxious, and a lot more indescribable feelings. It’s been more than ten years since I’ve been here in Europe and I never thought that this would be the feeling that would come with.

I stepped out the jet then instantly saw my dad. No pregnant girlfriends, no kids, just my dad.

I hurriedly hugged him as tight as I possibly could, all teary eyed and emotional. I really missed him.

"I have a surprise for you" He grabbed my hand and led me to his office.

There was a flamboyant gay man seated by his couch. My dad introduced me and I really didn't know what to think.

"This is Katerina, my one and only daughter" my dad told his companion.

"Oh! She’ll work. A little tweak here and there and she’ll do great! I’m Kurt by the way." He shook my hand.

I looked at my dad signalling a little 'Huh?!' in my face.

"He’ll be your stylist. I’ve just launched a new fashion and cosmetics line here in Paris since it seems to have been booming quite a lot here in Europe. So I would like you to be the very first face of our line. You’ll be in the covers of magazines and all those girly things girls your age wants to be in. It’s about time I make it up to you. You’re old enough now… old enough to stop hiding… Come back." he confessed enthusiastically.

I didn’t know what to think. Memories from middle school came back haunting me. What if I’m not yet ready to stop hiding? What if I’m not good enough for it? What if everyone still ignores me? I can’t even be visible in school what more in Paris and all across Europe?? I wouldn’t want to disappoint my dad, but, but-

"I’m so sorry dad" I finally answered. I could see his facial expression instantly shift. "I love America. I grew up there and my friends are all there. I’m so sorry dad…" I knew I was lying, but I can’t tell him what I’ve turned into. I couldn’t tell him that his daughter’s a coward.

"It’s okay… and I’m sorry. I’ve never really thought about you declining it. I’ve been so caught up into bringing you home yet I forgot that I left you, and that this isn’t your home anymore. I’m so sorry for being so inconsiderate."

I felt a pang of guilt piercing through my heart. I couldn’t bear seeing him like this. But what can I do? I was a coward.

"Could you at least do the photo shoot though?" I saw his eyes flicker with hope. I knew I couldn’t say no.

"Okay- but…"

"But what?" his eyes filled with concern.

"Uhmm… I really don’t want anyone to recognize me…" I reasoned out.

"Is that how you look on a daily basis?" Kurt butted in, eyeing me from head to toe in my ultra-conservative uniform.

I nodded in response.

"It won’t be a problem. I bet you don’t even know what you really look like under those hideous glasses." He arched an eyebrow up, still x-raying me, visualizing me under my huge armor.

They both eyed me as if everything’s all figured out now.

"Fine. Fineee. I’ll do it" I surrendered. "But can I wear a wig? just because this seems to be very noticeable." I pointed to my short curly dark brown hair, all frizzy and tangled up.

"Oh! Sure! Sure! That wouldn’t be a problem" Kurt hugged me in excitement, then my dad did too.

"Then it’s all settled then!" my dad exclaimed. I’ve never saw him this excited in my life.

Was this the right decision? 

I checked my phone and couldn’t help but wonder what’s going on in the States. I couldn’t sleep. What if I really stayed here and helped? Would people recognize me?

I let out a deep sigh.

I really couldn’t sleep, so I decided to get out of bed and look around. A small room at the end of the hallway caught my attention. I went in since the door’s open.

The little room seemed to look like an office. I reached out my fingers to find the light switch; then, as the little dark room lit up, a small opened notebook caught my eye. It seemed to have tiny scribbled words written in it.

"PVL…CHER…RI…MA" I slowly pronounced each syllable.

As I recall, we’ve studied this in English class before. I think it’s a Latin word for ‘most beautiful’.

It was followed by another two words. "FILIA MEA…" I wonder what it means… It sounds so cool and mysterious.

"It means my very beautiful daughter" said a man from behind me.

I was startled. "Dad…" I blurted out.

"Are you sure about your decision?"

I nodded, avoiding his hurt eyes.

"I understand."  He smiled. "You should probably get some sleep! Tomorrow’s gonna be a loaded day. Get your beauty rest."

"Okay. Goodnight dad."

"Goodnight!"

I drifted away and headed towards my room.

I wonder what tomorrow would be like… I’ve never actually smiled at a camera before, literally.