MY ALOUETTE BOY.

He was so perfect and pure - so beautiful and benevolent

Whereas I was tainted, corrupted by the things I had seen and the places I had been. If we were to be compared, he was an angelic, elegant dove - and I was a lowly, common magpie, scrounging for whatever treasures I could get my talons on. For lacking in strength and power, he made up for in grace and kindness. His eyes were so full of life, contrasting against the voids mine had become.

He was everything I wanted to be and more.

I saw him on occasion leaving St. Alouette Academy, a well-established private boarding school opposite my family's garage. Every time I saw him, his bleach-blond hair was neat and tidy, with a section of his bangs tucked behind his ear and the rest hanging free and precisely tousled. Round, brown eyes contrasted with his pale, clear skin, staring forward as he strode ahead with large and confident steps. The silver badge pinned to the left of his chest glistened and shimmered when it caught the sunlight, a bird clearly engraved into its surface.

That badge was what differentiated the Alouettes from the rest of us - drawing the line between the grandiose and the grim. If you had that badge in your hands, you were practically considered a god among students, divine and holy; fitting for a Catholic school. They had always been pined for by girls, and hatefully envied by boys. For me, however, it was both.

Imagine dating one of the Alouette Boys; would it be glamorous? Would it be brilliant? Or, as I would expect, would it be completely normal - besides all the jealous gazing and gawking you'd have to endure? I often interchanged between dreaming of being an Alouette and dreaming of being special to one - and, one in particular. Unfortunately, it was a childish dream I knew would never come true - with my hands blackened with oil and my face stained with hopelessness.

So, almost every weekend at the same time, I would just stand and stare; watching the Alouettes drift on by in awe as they headed home to their families. The way they behaved insinuated arrogance and vanity, but not my Alouette. He was different. I had often seen him commit acts of kindness, such as aid an elderly woman across the street, or simply give a passerby directions. I always noticed the small things.

I must have been staring too much that day, because I remember his eyes abruptly snapping onto mine, creating a brief moment of awkward eye contact and tension. For a second, I was paralyzed by his stare, entranced and enraptured by the way his pupils, almost lost in a sea of dark bronze, dilated and lessened at the sight of me; like a camera lens adjusting on its subject. Soon, however, I returned to reality, quickly averting my gaze and trying my hardest to seem at all natural.

The hopeful side of me had expected him to come and greet me, and explain that he had always seen me looking at him and loved me too. But, my pessimistic side predicted his actions more accurately. When I looked back up, he was already a figure in the distance.

I had known that my fantasies could never be realized, yet my heart sank. I threw the towel I had slung over my shoulder onto the floor, and forcefully kicked a table. I did not like this feeling. My chest felt heavy and shackled. I didn't even know his name. How could I be this heartbroken? It wasn't fair.

But, the conflict I felt stirring within me was soon resolved. Within a week, once he had returned to his school dorms, I had assumed everything had returned to normal. It was heavily raining, and the garage was colder than usual. My hands, shivering from the cold, glazed over engines and pipes, thoughtlessly doing my work.

"Hello? Excuse me?"

I had been so focused on the vehicle in front of me I hadn't heard his footsteps. My head whipped around, my heart skipping several beats as my hands helplessly latched onto the car behind me. It was my Alouette boy. And, in his hands, rested an injured bird.

---

A/N: A short oneshot I did in my spare time. Idk if I'll add anything to it, so this is it for now