chapter 3

To weary to walk home, we ride in peacekeeper jeeps back to our small house. A million thoughts rip through my head-- what Arrow will be wearing for the tribute parade this evening,( normally kids from 11 wear awful jump suits and flannels) the sponsors she'll get, and if I'll be able to see her at the end of this.

I know that Arrow can win. But if she does, will she be the same? Even if she doesn't kill anybody, the edgy feeling of being in an arena with killers plotting on your death must be enough to drive a person into insanity. Will the Arrow I know still exist if I see her at the end of this?

The jeep stops suddenly and I'm torn out of my thoughts. We've stopped in front of our house. Mother and I climb out of the jeep. Mother has a stern, strong look on her face. She has ceased her crying. That's what I love about her: she is strong and there for you when you need her to be.

×·×·×·×

Mother and I sit on the floor with green tea near the old, glitchy television to watch the tribute parade. The hosts, Caesar Flickerman, a young man maybe in his twenties, and Claudius Templesmith, a man in his mid- thirties  babble in excitement over what the stylists have in store for this parade. I'm just praying that Arrow isn't dressed in farmer's overalls.

“Oh, goody! The first chariot!” Caesar exclaims giddily. District 1’s tribute rolls out. The girl wears a gown adorned with hundreds of little diamonds, and her partner wears a diamond adorned suit. They practically blind the audience. Caesar and Claudius both agree that the stylist went a little over the top.

One by one, the chariots come out. The artist seemed to have stuck to the normal stereotypes of each district. District 4 is dressed as fisherman with trousers, ugly black rubber boots and trench coats. Finally, the last to chariots come out. The girl in the second to last chariot is wearing a two-pieced neutral gown. Her hair falls flawlessly down her back in waves. She wears a gold ring on her right finger and light pink flowers adorn her hair in a flower crown.

Arrow looks absolutely beautiful.

I turn to mother, who looks at the television in disbelief. She turns to me and smiles. “At least they're not dressed as farmers,” she says with a wink. I giggle and turn my attention back to the screen. Caesar and Claudius complement the stylist who designed the outfit. But there praise to the tall, dark skinned woman who designed their outfits is nearly drowned out by the crowd. They're going crazy over Arrow and Arnold, who looks handsome with a black suit and neutral vest to match Arrow's dress and a gold pin that says the number 11. They way to the crowd and blow kisses. The audience goes insane.

The tributes turn around to see what's got the audience going crazy. When they see Arrow and Arnold, they scowl. I smile to myself. For once, one of the outlying districts have an advantage over the careers.

The chariots travel down to the circle in from to the president's mansion. Snow steps up to the podium and welcomes the tributes to the hunger games, and congratulates them for being reaped. I hate him with all of my being.

Caesar and Claudius take over the screen again. “Make sure you tune in tomorrow for an interview with the head game maker,” they say happily. As if we have a goddy choice.

Exhausted,  I go back to the room Arrow and I share. I go over today's events: Arrow's reaping, saying goodbye, the terrible dread that I would never see her again. Even though she isn't here, it feels like she is. It’s so strong that I stay on my side of the bed, as if she'll come in any minute and fall on the bed from exhaustion like most days.

I close my eyes in exhaustion and send a silent thought to Arrow. I still believe in you. Promise me you'll fight your hardest.

The last thing I remember before I fall asleep in mother crawling into bed beside me and falling asleep. I smile to myself, glad I won't have to sleep alone.