Im in love with the colour of you (2017 DAY 1: Black/Blue)

"Is that it, over there?"

A pause.

"Nope."

After flying through dead space for what felt like hours, there was nothing worse than seeing a planet skirt the Blue Lion's radar only to discover it wasn't the moon they were looking for.
Lance sighed heavily, collapsing back into the pilot's seat before speeding the lion up again. Behind him, Shiro was leaning over the seat reading the small screen that contained all that was known about this planet.

Which was, needless to say, not much.

Coran sent them out just over 3 vargas ago, to hunt out a reclusive planet that was the only source of some long and unnecessarily named mineral - Lance had tuned out at some point of the explanation - that was needed to power the food goo machine of all things. Apparently the Blue lion was - for some unknown reason - a necessity for getting onto the planet and retrieving the mineral, and Shiro had stepped up to be navigator, much to everyone's (except Lance's) surprise.

Lance slipped deeper down his seat, slouching as comfortably as the armour would let him. "How far away did Coran say this planet was?" He questioned, almost whining; he was never very good for flying for extended periods of time, particularly in the concentrated silence of the cockpit whilst Lance searched and Shiro compared to broken data. Somewhere above him, he heard Shiro give a laugh-like breath through his nose, and he felt a robotic hand begin to lightly card through his hair.
"We'll find it soon, blue," Shiro's calming rumble assured him. "Be patient."

Lance felt himself deflate, leaning into the hand that was now drawing small, calming circles on his scalp. Tilting his head down to let Shiro dance his fingers over his neckline, he shuffled back into the chair. "What would the others do if they knew about this, eh?" Lance laughed under his breath. "The fearless head of Voltron enjoys giving head massages?"

Shiro chuckled, the arm on Lance's head reverberating. "Only for you, don't forget."

Something in Lance's chest swelled a little at this. The thought that his hero was here, giving him head rubs and calling him pet names, all whilst in a secret relationship that seemed to have come straight out of a dollar store romance novel? It was almost unreal.

Something on the dashboard bleeped. Right. Mission. Food goo chemicals. Focus Lance.

As Lance sat up in the seat, the hand drew away, letting him check intricate scanners and radars that the lion supplied. "We're getting a reading from a planet in the... um..." he cocked his head to one side. "The bee-zay galaxy? Am I pronouncing that right?"

Even without looking at the taller man stood behind him, he could hear the grin in Shiro's voice. "That's the one."

~

It turned out that Oxycaron-IX was a small moon covered in foliage on the outer reaches of the Bezay galaxy, orbiting the biggest planet of ice Lance had seen since the mermaid planet; that, in turn, was orbiting a huge star the same shade of red as Keith's armour.

"It's completely black! That's so cool!" gasped Lance as the lion began to draw close to the atmosphere.

In return Shiro raised an eyebrow. "That's because the sun's red, cadet."

"Hey, I knew that!"

"Of course you did."

Lance grumbled and slid the control sticks against the gravity's weak tug. "Shiro, give me one reason why I shouldn't crash this lion into the side of this planet."