All aboard

I sat between two people whom I've never seen before as the shuttle took off. I stared blank faced out the window watching as stars flew in and out of my view. My thoughts travelled back to all the good memories I've shared with Jim since the day we met.

*******

"Jim, honestly, you can't tell me that you took three guys from the academy out in a fight the night you decided to join Star Fleet," I rolled my eyes as I took a bite of pizza.

"Sure can! It was incredible. There I was, alone in the bar, just minding my own business, when this giant guy decides to knock my shoulder. I turned around and told him, 'Not today, cupcake!'" Jim's eyes lit up as he "recalled" details from that night. He searched the room nervously, obviously trying to make up details.

"And then when I noticed his Star Fleet shirt, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy. He clearly had nothing going for him," Jim spoke animatedly, using his hands for emphasis.

"And let me guess, he punched you," I said with fake enthusiasm.

"No! First I told him to get a couple more of his geek friends and then it'll be an even fight.... Then he punched me," Jim took a bite of crust and smiled at me with his eyes. I laughed at the adorableness of his story. Sure, it was ridiculous, but I mean, Jim is telling it, so its perfect.

"Yup, so Captain Pike stopped the fight and basically dared me that I couldn't join Starfleet. So I did. That's how I go here," Jim smiled at me as I laughed at his disingenuous comments.

"How about you, Blondie. How'd you end up here?" Jim smirked.

"Well, obviously I'm not human, so I got ere by space shuttle," Jim rolled his eyes and stared at me.

"Well duh. What made you want to join?"

"My father is a retired admiral. He rescued me from my dying planet when I was a baby," as I told the story, Jim's eyes widened, clearly not knowing my past.

"I owe my life to Star Fleet. It's my duty," I shrugged and took a sip of water from my bedside table in my dorm room.

"Wow, so you're kinda like a miracle, huh?" Jim smiled up at me with his brilliant blue eyes, making my heart skip a beat. I cleared my throat before I spoke.

"I guess you could say that..." I looked away as I turned a little red on my cheeks.

"Well I'd never admit this to Pike, but I'm glad I joined Star Fleet. It brought me to you," Kirk waited till I looked him in the eyes before he said this, making sure he had my full attention. "You and Bones are my best friends,"

I'm not gonna lie, I died a little on the inside when he grouped me in a category with Bones. A guy. A guy he'd never love romantically. That's all I was to him.

********

A creature, who somewhat resembled a frog, sat next to me on the shuttle shook my arm gently to wake me up when we approached the ship dock. I stared out the window at the massive space ships that conjoined here. This is where I belong. No distractions like the idiot Jim Kirk to keep me from my work. I'm going to be the best cadet ever aboard the Enterprise.

Organized chaos is the best way to describe the madness of everyone running to their places on the USS Enterprise. I made my way past the atrium, where all the lieutenants barked orders at the new mechanical engineers aboard the ship. I walked swiftly past many people, past the medical ward, where Leonard is, no doubt, and made my way towards the control center. Being top of my class in altitude training, I was assigned to stabilize and control altitude during landing and take off. This of course means, I'll be working on the bridge with the Captain. The thought of it all made a lump of nerves form in my throat, but I will do anything it takes to prove I'm worthy of the Enterprise.