IX. Nanairō's Story

Before I start telling the worst part of this book, I'd like to warn anyone listening or reading this. There will be mentions of things such as rape, molest, bullying, betrayal, so on and so forth. If you find any or all of the above to be unbearable please do not read further.

• • • • •

I mentioned before that I was jumped by my teammates, but this time was different. It wasn't my teammates, or anyone I remotely knew. And it all started on Valentine's day.

Miyuki and I walked into class and we were talking about how the ball was only the day before. Our desks had gifts stacked around them and we were both being eyeballed by all the girls in the classroom. "Um Miyuki?" He nodded. "Yeah, this happens to me every year, Haha." I made a noise of understanding. We both sat down in our seats, and were surrounded by girls seemingly as soon as we hit the chairs. I turned around and sat in my seat backwards so I could listen to Miyuki go on about his dance with the girl he never knew was me. "She was pretty, she had pretty long hair that made everyone else look plain." I laughed slightly. "How do you know it wasn't just extensions?" He shook his head. "I don't know, it just seemed so real." I grinned. "Well that is the point isn't-" I was interrupted by a group of girls. "Excuse me, Nakatomi-chan. We've been standing here a while." I sighed and looked at the group of five. "Well I'm kind of in the middle of a conversation, so either go back to your class or go back to your boyfriends." The rude chick who interrupted me scoffed. "How else am I supposed to give you chocolate if you won't listen!" She stomped her foot like a little brat. "Who asked you to get me chocolate? Sorry to rain on your parade but I'm not looking to date. That goes to anyone else here to confess to me." The five girls stomped off in what seemed like an insignificant rage. But what was insignificant then blew up in everyone's faces.

"I heard it was the eldest Nakatomi girl!"

"I thought she went back to America?"

"Apparently not!"

"What did her father have to say about it?"

"SHH! There she is!"

I walked past a crowd of gossiping women while clutching my arms insecurely. I received many looks from those women and men who were all judging me as if I wanted it. "What a slut... To think I actually looked up to her."

"Nakatomi-kun, you're needed outside."  I looked at the teacher from my backwards position in my seat. "Oh, yes ma'am." The teacher nodded to the rest of the class. "Now then, we will be having a visit from Prime Minister Nakatomi's eldest daughter and his wife. Unfortunately he is in Seoul at the moment and will not be available to come." I kept walking but panicked slightly at the teacher's happy words. Everyone else in the room made a noise of understanding. I made my way out and there was my step mother. "Get dressed fast. Do your makeup quickly as well." I nodded obediently and ran down the hallway and quickly changed. I put my hair extensions in did my makeup and took off my bindings. I changed into the clothes that were left for me and touched up my makeup before walking back out of the bathroom.

I walked over to where my step mother was waiting impatiently. "Not even nice clothes and makeup can turn a pig into a princess I guess." She walked in and almost closed the door in my face, but I caught it. I walked in shyly behind her. "Good morning, I'm Nakatomi Haruno and this is my stepdaughter Nakatomi Nanairō. I'm pleased to meet all of you." They all bowed politely. I smiled and bowed back while my stepmother did not. She whispered, "Make yourself useful and maybe you'll be good enough to use as a tool for your sister." I acted as though I didn't hear her as I turned to walk to the center so I could greet and meet them, but my stepmother wasn't so willing to let me be. As I took a step past her, she hooked her foot around my ankle in a subtle way and tripped me. I scraped my knee across the floor as I fell but I got back up and acted like it didn't bother me at all. I smiled and started talking. "Hello, how is everyone?" They all gave various positive responses. "I'm here to say Happy Valentines Day and that I wish you all happiness." There was a murmur of 'thank you's and 'yeah whatever's but I honestly didn't care. I bowed and left.