XII. National Catcher (Part One)

Nanairō

I stood opposite of Miyuki with my batting gloves on and a smirk. Somehow, a few publications, Universities, Pro-teams, and reporters caught wind about the show down between Miyuki and I. Makes me wonder just how last minute this game actually is... I glanced up at the stands to see the reporters and everyone all standing and watching. And then I spotted a singular familiar face. D-Dad? He was wearing a proud smile as he waved at me from the stands. His hat and sunglasses hid his identity but I recognized him. Something was different. Was he... Sober? I also noticed the step witch and her evil spawn were no where in sight. "Am I imagining things..." I mumbled under my breath, before smiling lightly. I turned back to Coach.

"Bow!" We did as he said. "Have a good fair match!" We all cheered, but I roared in an unfamiliar feeling. Hope?

We were at bat first, and they were starting off with Furuya. I was batting first round cleanup. The three before me looked to me for confirmation that the plan was still in play based on pitcher choice and I nodded.

"If they start off with Tanba, aim for his wicked curve balls. He uses them most abundantly. Just know he's riled up so it'll curve more than usual. If it's Kawakami, aim for the sliders to the inside and just try to pop it where their defense is the weakest: left field. Whatever you do, don't pop it to center, otherwise it's game over. And if it's Furuya, don't swing unless your count is full or you're at two strikes. If it's a meatball, knock it back but after seeing his patterns, it'll most likely be too high. He's going to try and shut you out with power, so be ready to swing and stand in the back of the box. Haruichi, you're the only one I want crowding the plate. Let them underestimate us, but never underestimate them. Remember, the only one we really have to watch for is Tanba."

I recalled my words to our starting nine as I watched Furuya pitch his warm-up pitches. They were curving up like usual. Good, he's being predictable yet wild. I leaned against the fence to watch. Coach called for Haruichi. He looked at me and did the sign we agreed on. Show a bunt and pull back, only swing if it's perfect. Miyuki frowned slightly at our signals. He must've known that we had a plan to disable their pitchers. Haruichi crouched and as Furuya prepared to throw, he showed a bunt. Disoriented, Furuya three it high, but Haruichi had already pulled his bat back. "Ball one!"

I grinned, and Miyuki looked at me in surprise. Shocked that I know how to break a pitcher, Miyuki? You forget I am one too. "Forgive me, Furuya, but I'm going to have to break your spirit a bit." I mumbled. Miyuki moved his mitt to low and inside. Furuya wound up again, but Haruichi threw him off by showing a bunt again. Furuya pitched. That's a meatball! "HIT IT!" Haruichi made a full connection by changing his form and pulled it straight down the third base line. The ball soared deep into the outfield, while the left fielder struggled to keep up with it, and elected to catch it on the bounce. By the time the ball reached the infield, Haruichi popped up from his slide to second.

"Safe!" I heard murmurings from the crowd grouped around the fence.

"Woah how did that kid pull it so hard! But the Coach isn't in the second string dugout! Who would've known how to cut through their defense like that though? They're not even varsity!" I grinned.

"Hear that? They're underestimating you up there in the stands, you just gonna take it?" Everyone shouted.

"The short one, isn't he a prestigious catcher? I feel like I recognize him."

"That's Chibana Satōshi, formerly Nakatomi Satōshi. He's tied with Miyuki Kazuya, who is catching for First String right now for number one catcher in the nation. He's a master at almost every position and skill in baseball, and is a great strategist as a result. He's been playing from a young age and is said to have been coached by the alumni of this school to breed him for highschool baseball. He also was on a team in Osaka that was a Finalist for Kōshien Qualifiers, but lost to Miyuki-kun's team. He's only catching today from what I hear, even though he normally pitches." The surrounding reporters gasped in amazement.