Confessions

You hadn't left the safety of your house for a really long time. Being in the middle of recovering from your injuries made it seriously hard to do almost anything productive, even with help. You would have kept on with the process without any help if it wasn't for Zacharie insisting on assisting you in just about everything. As annoying as you found it, you always told yourself that is was the thought that counts.

Zacharie was literally around you all the time.

It seemed like he would never ever give you time to yourself again, much to your constant dismay. Even worse, it was like the merchant never left your house. It was a little bit weird, in your opinion at least. It was almost like he was mentally attached to you.

At this particular moment, you happened to be sitting on your couch, finally enjoying some well-needed peace and quiet. In fact, you were quite lucky you were alone at the moment--it was possible that you'd never get alone time again until you were fully healed.

Just as you had been thinking that you were finally getting a break, a figure opened your door and walked in. You were taken by unpleasant surprise, furrowing your brow a bit.

"Zacharie... Don't you think I'm okay on my own for now..?" You asked him politely, yet a displeased look remained plastered to your face.

The merchant shut your door, then turned to face you, focusing his masked gaze on you as he tilted his head slightly to the side. "What? Is it not okay to be worried?"

"Well, of course, but you've been here," You paused your sentence before proceeding to finish it. "...A little too much lately." A disapproving look replaced your previous one as you crossed your arms weakly, observing the other.

"...But I-"

You immediately cut him off with, "No buts about it."

He gazed at you from behind his mask, before hesitantly nodding, without saying anything else.

"Good." You then flashed a smile to the merchant, only for it to vanish as you noticed the other beginning to make his way towards your door once again. With that, you spoke up, "Hey! Where do you think you're going?"

Confused, Zacharie froze and looked at you once more, hesitantly answering your sudden question, "You told me I'm here too much, so I'm leaving. I understand that you need some space."

With that, you cracked a grin once more, snickering in amusement.

"You better stay here, you aren't just going to show up and then leave." You then playfully added the one simple French word, "Idiot."

He stopped walking, then nodding slowly, making his way over to sit beside you on the couch. "Fine."

"Also, you can take your mask off. No need in hiding your face when you're just with me and I've already seen it." You focus your eyes on him, continuing to smile warmly.

He gives you a look before simply shaking his head.

"Why not?" You tilt your head to the side slightly.

"I said you could see my face once," he stated bluntly, sighing.

With that, you frowned, then reached forward, quickly snatching the mask off of his pale-as-you-remember face. He was quick to respond, allowing his messy black bangs to fall in front of his brown eyes as he looked down to the ground.

"Oh my god, you're so overdramatic. Act normal for once!" You furrowed your brow, looking at the obviously young man that sat in front of you. Last time you saw his face, you took note that he looked to be either 21 or 22, despite seeming like a teenager.

"Fine." The merchant moved a hand to clear his hair from his dark colored eyes, then looking up and focusing his sight on you. You finally flashed a small smile.

"There! Now was that so hard?"

"Maybe just a little bit. But I'll be okay, I suppose." He didn't seem quite too happy, his smile seeming weak and frail, which was very unlike him. Deciding to ignore it at the moment, you sighed.

"Of course you'll be okay! Thank you for bringing the Zacharie I know back to life, heheh." You reached forward and ruffled his hair playfully before pulling your hand back to yourself, the bright smile failing to leave your face.

"You're welcome, ________, but I fear that I once again will fail to be the same in just a moment." His smile began to fade into what looked like a nervous frown. He moves his hands to 'straighten' his now messed up hair.

"Hmm..? Why?" You were now a bit curious, narrowing your eyes. You could tell something was up, but you just could quite figure out what it was. You were determined to figure it out--even if you did have a slight idea of what it was that was bothering him.

"I...." The merchant bit his lip before continuing. "...I like you, ________. In a more than friends kind of way.." A blush slowly creeped it's way upon Zacharie's ghostly pale face as your eyes slowly widened. So it was true, huh? You were only half surprised that your idea was right, even if you already knew it was true. You just didn't really expect him to be admitting his feelings towards you.

You also began blushing. You were so flattered, it wasn't funny. In fact you felt as if you were so flattered that you were making a fool out of yourself. Way to go, ________. Good job handling your emotions.

"You... like me..?? In that way..??" You were almost positive that you didn't know how to react to his sudden confession.

The merchant nodded. "I have always been known not to tell a lie, amigo." He gave you a small, innocent smile, and you couldn't help but smile back also.

"I believe you, I believe you... I just really don't know what to say, Zacharie...." You were dumbfounded. What kind of a girl didn't know what to say when her best guy friend confessed feelings towards her?

"Just tell me how you feel about me. I understand if you don't feel the same way, trust me.." Zacharie was obviously eager to know your feelings, and you just felt wrong not telling him. Maybe it was best to just get it over with, because truthfully... you actually sorta felt the same towards him. It made you feel so awkward though.

"Well... I... I like you too, Zach..." Your words were quiet. Almost impossible to be heard, actually. But Zacharie proved that he had indeed heard your words.

"You do..??" His eyes had gone wide, leaving him looking awfully surprised. His mouth suddenly curled up into a tiny smile.

"Mmhmm, I have for a while, actually.." You awkwardly looked off to the side, your nervous grin plastered to your face as you did so.

"________...." Zacharie whispered your name before, he gave you a wide, toothy grin, then throwing his arms around you, pulling you into a close, loving hug. You yelped, but after a moment, you giggled and slipped your arms back around him, the nervousness leaving you completely, replaced by pure happiness.

You then realized that Zacharie was now your boyfriend, which only left you even happier. You knew you liked him a lot, but you had only just realized it. Glad to have him, you could only hope your relationship would work out, because you would find it hard to be around him ever again if you broke up. Then you'd really be upset.