Chapter 1

" Hazel Ann Jefferson, get out of bed!" I was awoken by the harsh call from Mom. I turned and looked out the window and remembered that today was the first day of school. I pity myself. I was not ready to go to another new school. My Dad's job is constantly moveing to new locations so that meant we all had to be dragged along.  Suddenly my pity party was over when my younger brother Jonah bursts into my room. Unlike me he makes friends easily, so he was excited.

    After a minute of trying to shove my brother out of my room I was fully awake. "Hazel!" This time there was angry  tone in my Mom's voice, which terrifies me. In a split second I grab my ripped, blue jeans, a T- shirt with my favorite band on it, my Adidas, and gray hoodie. I wash my face, brush  my teeth, tame my shoulder length hair, and run down the stairs with out falling. I swallow a large scoop of soggy Lucky Charms, reach for my phone, kiss my family bye, take my bag of the hook by the couch and sprint out the door.

   I live close to school so I  walk. As I open the doors of Mattson Martinez High School, I feel a shiver go down my spine. I wach all the other students of MMHS hug, laugh, and catch up with their friends. Feeling alone. I  decide to distract myself by looking for my locker.  I walk down the crowded hallway scavenging for locker 307.  I see 305 ahead of me so I start to jog. I guess I was not paying much attention when I was looking because next thing I know I'm hit right on my forehead with a locker. 

********

   I open my eyes. Only to meet a guy staring at me in shock. "Sorry! Are you okay" he says, I think that's what he said. Whatever this guy is saying was all blurry to me. He asks again " Are you okay?" I reply "Yeah I'm fine. Just a bump." When I fully regain focus I immediately notice his eyes, they were big and dark brown. I can tell that he is really sorry by the worry in them. "So... are you new?"he asks scratching his neck. I answer rapidly. "Yes"

" My name is David by the way." He extends his hand waiting for me to shake it. Ignoring his hand I reply, "Hazel. My name is Hazel" David widens his eyes. "What? What's wrong?" I ask. He blushes, " Nothing. It's nothing." We were interrupted by the bell. "Well... bye Dave" and I walk away.