Early Sunsets Over Monroeville

[Song: Early Sunsets Over Monroeville by My Chemical Romance]

Taking one last look at the house he had just spent the past few years of his life in, Ian felt a deep sense of sadness. Every part of that house had memories. From the evenings of watching sunsets on the roofs to the late night movie marathons in the basements, the house was a nest of memories.

Ian sighed and put his last box in the trunk of his car. He'd miss this house more than anything but there's no staying in it anymore.

When he got into his car, Ian noticed the sun was setting now. It made him think of the times he and Max would sit on the roof and watch as the sun set.

×

Max's hair blew in the wind as he looked out ahead and watched the sun set. The wispy, brown strands grazed Ian's skin like a touch from a ghost. Ian didn't mind much. Close contact from Max was something he enjoyed.

"Why do you like sunsets so much?" Ian asked, breaking the silence.

"They're beautiful," Max answered.

"Like you," Ian smiled.

"I wouldn't say that," Max started. "I mean call me beautiful all you want but I'm not a sunset."

"Why not?" Ian asked.

"A sunset is something beautiful that doesn't last. It's only there for a few seconds of the day and most people overlook it, sure they say they like sunsets but no one truly appreciates their beauty. It's a misunderstood cliche. Sure it's beautiful, but the thing that makes it beautiful is that it's a temporary wonder that gets rid of the calmness of day and brings the restlessness and uncertainty of night."

×

Max. What a wonderful sight he was to see every day. He was always Ian's favorite part of the day.

He'd miss seeing Max every day but that was the price to pay for heartbreak.

Ian would always regret what happened. Sure he had loved Max at some point, but love fades. Everything fades at one point, it's just a fact of life.

×

"What are you up to, Maxy?" Ian asked when he walked into Max staring at an old photograph.

"Just looking at this picture," Max responded. "I remember it being a lot brighter but I guess it faded."

"All things fade, Max."

Max looked up at Ian with a look of wonder that you would normally see in the eyes of a child. "Not all things do. We won't fade, will we?"

"I'd hope we wouldn't," Ian started. "But nothings for certain."

"I don't think we'll fade. I think we can make it forever."

"Forever is a long time."