t w o

cause if i could see your face once more // i could die a happy man i'm sure

Caroline didn't want to answer the call. It was Rebekah Mikaelson, and surely if she was calling, something was up. 

But Caroline let it go to voicemail anyway. The cocky, British blonde would surely leave a message if it was that important. 

So, while Caroline sat on the couch, Grey's Anatomy playing in the background, she let the phone ring. 

After about 45 seconds, the notification popped up. 

One missed call from : Rebekah Mikaelson.

With a sigh, Caroline put the phone on speaker, paused the tv, and played the message. 

"Hey, Caroline..." A pause. "It's Rebekah. Look. I'm not even sure if you'll play this, but for Nik's sake, I hope you do. Now, surely you know Nik loves you. He's never said it out loud, but I know it's true. And right now, he's dying, Caroline. Cursed by a witch, you understand. But, anyways, he needs you Caroline. Well, for his last wish, he wants to see you. If he saw you, just one last time, perhaps tell you everything he feels... I think he can die in peace. You have about a week, Caroline. I hope you can put our differences aside, and your hatred for my family, to come visit my dying brother. And if it's any consolation, Klaus has changed. He's not the man you knew three years ago." 

The phone call ended. 

Caroline held the iPhone in her hand. 

Klaus was dying? Dying?

The big, bad, completely immortal hybrid?

She rolled the idea around in her head, finding it ridiculous and unbelievable. She finally settled it down to some crazy ruse to get her to go to New Orleans. They probably needed her blood for a sacrifice or something. Or perhaps, Klaus was still obsessed with her, and wanted to lure her to New Orleans. 

Five minutes passed. 

Then ten. 

She tried to write it all up to a bad day, to tell herself that everything the youngest Mikaelson had said was a lie, and insane. But soon, she found herself dialing Rebekah's number. 

"Hello?" The British female answered. 

"Hey, it's Caroline."