Chapter 3

Shelby just ended her Sunday school class with her youth class at Greater Faith Baptist Church. She taught the class with the high schoolers, since she was closer to them in age, it was easy for her to teach them and break things down to them in their language.

Once Sunday school was out, church service was about to start. Shelby didn't have time to fellowship with some of the friendly members, she went straight to her usual spot after entering the sanctuary. Once she'd sat down, she spotted Kori, Kori's husband, Nathan, and their son. Kori made her way to where Shelby was sitting.

Shelby and Kori are the only two of the group that goes to church. Tammy usually works on Sundays and Shayla prefers not to go to church at all. Shelby wasn't going to force her sister to go to church with her unless Shayla wanted to go.

Shelby greeted Kori and her family as they sat down, just moments before the pastor began to speak from the pulpit.

"What a glorious Sunday it is, saints?" Reverend Lawrence T. Jackson smiled at his congregation. "Aren't you glad to be in the house of the Lord this morning?"

There were shouts and claps coming from all over the sanctuary.

"Today is a great day because the Lord has blessed me this morning." Reverend Jackson smiled. He was a man who's been living sixty-four years, but didn't look older than fifty. The women of Greater Faith literally thrown themselves as him after his wife died two years ago. His grey hair suited him well and didn't make him look old.

"God brought my son back home from Alabama." He pointed to a young man sitting in the pulpit with the other ministers.

The congregation clapped more and louder.

Kori leaned in towards Shelby. "I didn't know Rev. Jackson had a son." She whispered.

Shelby shrugged. "That's because you didn't come to church the few Sundays his son, Lewis came to church."

They both took a look at the Reverend's son.

Kori gasped, patting Shelby's thigh. "Oh my God, That's our guy." She whispered, recognizing his face from the club they were at.

"What?" Shelby mumbled as she looked to where Pastor Jaskson was pointing. She spotted the broad shouldered man.

"I didn't know Pastor Jackson had another son other than Lewis." Shelby whispered to Kori.

"You definitely have to meet him after service."

"No!" Shelby lightly elbowed Kori to get her out her ear.

Both women made sure they were keeping their voices low.

Kori's husband, Nathan, looked over at the two of them, pinched Kori and leaned towards her. "If you two don't stop all that talking." He stretched his arm behind Kori and poked Shelby. "Shhh." He placed his index finger on his lips.

Both, Kori and Shelby giggled.

"Okay, dad." Kori responded sarcastically.

When service was over, Kori tried to convince Shelby to meet the reverend's son, but Shelby wasn't going to do that.

"Hey, Shell!" Paul called her name.

She turned to spot him. "Hey, Paul. What's going on?" She asked.

"Where are you going, have a youth ministry meeting, remember?" He said.

"Right now?"

He nodded, "come on."

They got to the conference room and found other members who are all involved with the youth ministry. Sister Shirley, the president of the ministry, began to speak.