Chapter 21-30

Chapter 21 Water Bottles

Seeing that the two brothers were pulled aside by their mother, Chang and Qing shui returned to their own place, leaving the family of three standing there feebly. They never even had a chance to say anything.

Chang returned to his own bed and organized his sheets, then sat on the lower bunk bed and said, "We weren't nice doing that..." Chang glanced at the family of three and whispered, "The old couple seems weak; they'll get sick easily if they sleep on the floor without blankets."

"We didn't decide that, and it wasn't a matter of being fair anyways." Pangzi sat beside him and said, "We got less beds than we should have. Now isn't the time to be thinking about others. We should decide who's going to sleep on which bed."

"Jing and Lin should have their own beds and us three will take turns to sleep on beds. Is that fine?" Qing shui looked at Pangzi and Chang following his suggestion.

"It's fair," Chang nodded. "Each of us can take turns sleeping on the floor. That person should try to pay attention to the surroundings so that we can watch out for these strangers."

"I agree." Pangzi nodded.

Lin agreed silently, but Jing surprisingly opposed the idea.

"We can share the same bed... I'm scared of sleeping by myself." Jing quickly glanced Chang's face and asked gingerly, "If you don't mind?"

"Okay." Chang nodded. Then, we have enough beds for everyone, but we should still take turns staying up even if we don't need to sleep on floor."

"Since everything's settled, let's have dinner. We've been tossing around the whole day and it's getting dark out there." As Qing shui spoke, he took out some vacuum sealed bread from his backpack and ripped open the plastic package.

A musty smell wafted from the opening after Qing shui opened the pack.

"Sh*t, the bread is full of mold too!" Pangzi looked at the bread and complaine. "The packaging was such bad quality... If it was sealed better, the bread should've been able to last for two or three days in this environment."

"We're lucky that it's still edible." Chang took the bread and peeled off the top layer of green and hairy mold from the crust. He took a big bite and then frowned. "It really doesn't taste nice at all though!"

The moldy bread left a strong stale taste in their mouths as if they were eating blankets that had been left in the closet for years without cleaning. The bread had a waxy texture.

"Eat more." Qing shui took out all the bread he had from his backpack. "We might not even have moldy bread to eat tomorrow judging by how fast it's rotting."

"Yeah." Chang took another bite; his voice was slightly slurred, "If we try to save the bread for tomorrow, I am afraid we'll only have green hairy mold and no bread."

Pangzi sighed heavily, then opened a package and removed the green mold like how Chang did. He smiled wryly and said, "To be honest, despite how bad the bread tastes right now, it might taste delicious in 15 days, if we can even survive that long."

"Really?" Chang suddenly laughed as he heard Pangzi's comment. He was surprised as he chewed the bread more carefully, "I think you're right; it tastes a little like grass!"

Chang torn open another package as he finished speaking and handed the bread to Jing and grinned. "Try it yourself!"

Jing nodded heavily and imitated what Chang did to his bread. She took big bites from it as if it was hot and fresh.