Chapter 5: Unwelcomed

Moon Grace Villa, 18:31

Typical house of a billionaire; a magnificent villa. Dressed in a chic formal clothes, wearing flashy sunglasses which hid her eyes and carrying a suitcase filled with 'made-up' papers, Kaitlyn rang that doorbell twice and waited.

This afternoon after their school visit, Greg handed to her all sorts of clothes for different occasions. He described how her personality and characteristics should be and she didn't agree to half of them.

No drinks. No foul language. Polite. Patient. Understanding...and well dressed. She wondered what on Earth had been wrong with her jeans and her shirt.

He drove her till here in a shiny black car and left the keys with her. That car would be her transport. A car...sigh, she should have told him that she had not been in contact with a steering wheel since a month already, since she was...too ruthless with a car? That thought made her smile.

No, that was not important. He left her after making her aware that her mission started now. Infiltrate the target's house and gather all information about his wife. She herself did not know how she was going to do that or why they wanted that.

She felt frustrated within her...

She was working for an unknown man, with the minimum information given to her and all that for? For knowing fragments of her past she has long ago forsaken.

Had she not remembered how Aunt Matilda spoke about her parents, she would have never accepted this job. She was doing all this for curiosity's sake.

And mostly, she wanted a challenging case, something that she knew would test her skills. She knew that she had more potential within her. She was willing to test her limits, her sense of deduction, her perspicacity and ability.

She knew she could do more than merely follow people who were involved in small illegal transactions or small affairs. She wanted a real detective job.

The door opened quickly and a woman asked breathlessly, "Ye...yes?"

Judging by the way she was dressed, an apron tied around her waist, she was either the nanny of Adrian or the housekeeper or a maid.

She removed her badge and showed it to her, "Good evening. I am from the Child Protection Unit. I have some investigations to do here. I need to speak to Mr. Reyes."

With that deliberate formal tone she adopted and the dead serious look on her face, no wonder the woman looked stunned and then nervous.

She stumbled over her words, "I'll...I'll call him! Please wait here!"

The woman disappeared inside, leaving the door open.

Waiting was never an option for her. Two seconds later, she walked inside, astounded by the sophisticated and luxurious feel that pervaded this house. She hid her astonishment.

The exterior was similar to any other villa but the interior was simply wow. This was what she might call, the house of modern times. It felt so fresh, as if she was in a futurist environment. This place was innovational. She walked on the brown carpet which laid in contrast to the white floor.

However, there was a lack of activity here. Everything was so static and lifeless. She heard some grumbling upstairs and that made her only want to see how the man looked like. The portfolio she was given in the plane only told her he was a CEO named Tyler Reyes.

Approaching sounds of footsteps were heard in an incredibly accurate rhythm. She slowly turned, watching the man who marched down the stairs, followed by the housekeeper.

Her breath caught in her throat. Not bad...he was not as old as she thought he was. Maybe in his late twenties? It'd be a pleasure to discover the man then.

As in her nature, she scanned her target. He was unsurprisingly well-dressed in a black Armani suit. Beneath, she saw a white shirt with light grey strips and a tie. As he approached closer, she noticed that his short layered hair was rich black with faint traces of dark brown.

He was taller than her even though she was wearing uncomfortable heels right now just for the sake of giving a formal first impression. His turquoise blue eyes were severely judging her it seemed.

She extended her hand for a shake, "Mr. Reyes, I assume? I am Kaitlyn Wright from the Child Protection Unit."

His grip was firm and quick. When he let her go, she could still feel the warmth of it. She continued, "I would like to ask you a few questions but first-"

He interrupted her, cutting her sentence sharply, "But first, Ms. Wright...I'm having a hard time believing you are from the CPU. What tells me that you're not a journalist instead? You look like one."

Oh so he was associating people with what they wanted. In her case, it was information and he probably understood that. Very observant. If he wanted to play it the hard way, he'd be granted the wish.

Greg had warned her that he was a difficult and vigilant person and now she knew what he meant by it. "If you don't mind..."

She walked to the settee and took a place, not waiting for his answer and began to remove the papers from the suitcase. Ugh, if only she could answer him like she meant it.

Tyler took a place opposite her and watched her as she rummaged through her suitcase. She was a slender and attractive woman. Her black hair looked lovely against her fair face. Her pretty tamarind eyes were lowered to the papers and her eyebrows were slightly creased right now.

So the headmistress really called that stupid organization? Fine, he'd be done with it very quickly. He didn't have time to waste here when so much work was awaiting him in his study. He said as he leaned back against the settee, "I don't think an organization as reputed as the CPU will employ someone who look so inexperience."

How about trying some of his intimidating moves? He had seen beginners losing tracks when he interviewed them.

This woman would not be much different.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Dear all

As mentioned earlier, this is only an excerpt. You will soon be able to read the whole story on the app, Dreame. Private message me if you want to know about it.

Thank you to all the readers who have shown interest in this book and supported me. I truly appreciate all you witty and lovely comments! :)

~WritingSoldiers

~08/03/2019