17. Guns in Great Inagua

Veronica

Picking off the shedding flakes from his chapped lips, Christian's head rolled back. 'This is insane!'

A small, organic cove was where the El Arca Del Maestro led us to. Surrounded by flora with shrubbery in every direction, it was a dozen times prettier and more appealing than Nassau.

Great Inagua, it was called. Hornigold had arrived not five minutes ago wishing to express his admiration for Edward's impressive ability to snatch it up from a mutual enemy they called 'Du Casse'.

I asked myself what I should specifically choose to know him as. To Camilla, he was Ben, but to others, his surname sufficed.

'Agreed,' Abraham said, displeased as he booted his heels into the worn, tatty steps leading to the entrance of the shabby hut I found to amuse myself with alongside Christian and Sophie.

Abraham was grumpy and unenthusiastic when lingering outside the doorway, but was there nevertheless because Captain Kenway ordered him to be, pertaining as our watchkeeper for the time being. 'Sensibility ain't one with the Cap'n, but it seems only fair to allow ye' lot to find a way back to where you belong rather than have ye' sip whiskey on the beach.'

The sunny outside bypassed him to the indoors of the shop and canceled out the refreshing coolness that the insulated walls provided. I felt my skin heat at its intensity.

So many days spent under the sun that I wasn't used to had begun transforming my creamy complexion to a natural, golden shade.

Inside, there was chipped paint of the windowsills. The whole area was dull and brown, and certainly nothing special. A boring mahogany bench lay four or five meters up the back and guarded a dark, hairy male around the age of forty.

Behind Abraham outside, strolling past was Giorgi. While Christian offered a wave and beckoned. I strained my neck to see past his shoulders.

Giorgi's curls bounced as he glanced unsurely at Abraham's lean frame and crossed arms. 'Tis all good. I'm scouting the area instead.'

No one argued as he loitered away, typically in that slumped posture.

Momentarily, Abraham retracted his eyes and breathed deeply. 'What're you thinking, man? Extending an invite towards that kid?'

To his left was a rusted, empty birdcage that creaked as he rested his elbow on it.

I went on the defense. 'He never hangs out with anyone. I always see him alone.'

Through lukewarm observation, Giorgi was reserved and timid, which, admittedly, could be handed off due to his outcast status. Interaction with others was rare as he isolated himself and shut his voice away.

'There is a reason for that, lass. We don't care for him. It's simple as that.'

Because of his appearance, I thought bitterly.

Abraham continued, 'It 'aint too hard to figure out why.'

Sophie sniffed and took Christian's hand. 'Why must you people be so damn shallow?'

On the other hand, I thought, if he wasn't always so cold and unfriendly...

He wasn't giving us anything about him to like, so was it really so 'shallow' not to do so?

The stairs groaned loudly as Thatch appeared and shuffled up them. 'No one would care for 'im regardless. The lad is 'bout as attractive as a wet, rotten fish.'

Abraham squinted at Sophie with a hint of condescension. 'Look, young lady, whatever disease that's possessed the boy should be kept to 'imself.'

Christian stepped back and wrapped an arm around Sophie's waist, clearly unappreciative of the doctors' attitude towards his girlfriend.