Chapter 23

Jeff woke up around 3:00 AM that night, he kept felling uncomfortable. Not because he was on the floor, but because something felt off to him. "Hey, Isaac, you awake?" he whispered, peeking his head over Isaac's bed. Isaac rolled over, and reached for his glasses on the in table. "What is it Jeff, I'm trying to sleep," Isaac asked, putting his glasses on. "I'm a little paranoid. Some guy near the sunglasses kiosk kept on staring at us as we walked out of the mall, and he kept looking until we got on the bus," Jeff said, getting on Isaac's bed and sitting next to him, with his legs crossed. "Okay Jeffery, in case you haven't noticed, we escaped from a juvi camp and people probably have seen us or something. Just, try not to worry so much okay?" Isaac said, about to go back to sleep. "Also, it's three in the morning, in case you haven't noticed," he added as he took his glasses off. "I'm being serious dude! I really feel uncomfortable," Jeff said, shaking his friends shoulder. "Fucking hell Jeff, just go to sleep," Isaac said, slapping Jeff's hand. "Please let me talk to you man, I'm actually scared," Jeff said, pulling Isaac's shirt. "Alright fine, how paranoid are you?" Isaac asked, sitting up. "Very, like, I'm about to fucking cry paranoid," Jeff answered, looking straight in Isaac's hazel blue eyes. "Jeffrey, we're safe. We're in a motel room, that's locked from the outside. The windows are stable and wont break if someone tried to break them open. We're perfectly fine," Isaac said, putting one hand on his friends shoulder. "Thanks man, I needed that," Jeff said, wiping a faint tear from his face. "Hey, you want to sleep in the bed tonight? And I sleep on the floor?" Isaac asked. Jeff slowly nodded, "Okay then, let me get my glasses on so I can see," Isaac said, getting off the bed. "Thanks again Isaac," Jeff said, rolling over to face Isaac. But Isaac was already asleep, so Jeff closed his eyes and he was out in a second.

The next day was pretty normal, nothing extreme happened. Marceline was in the break room with Ivy, and the boys were hanging out with Bear in Frankfort. "Yo, Marceline, hand me a cork screw out of the pantry," Ivy said, smoking a cigarette. "Okay, catch," Marceline said tossing the cork screw to Ivy. Ivy caught it with out looking up, "Impressive catch," Marceline said. "Impressive throw," Ivy added, blowing a perfect smoke ring. "So, what's the cork screw for?" Marceline asked, sitting next to Ivy on the table. "To rig the vending machine, I always get free stuff out of it when I do that," she said, using the cork screw to open a small hatch near the buttons. "Cool, I figured out how to hot wire a car back in America," Marceline said, lying on the table. "Oh yeah? How do you do that?" Ivy asked. "Well, there's three wires under the steering wheel, a red, a blue, and a green. The red wire is the ignition, the blue is the battery, and the green is the starter. Touch the red to the blue wire, that turns on the lights, attach the other end to the blue to the green, that starts it. I went to my uncles a lot when I was growing up and his car would always break down, so he taught me what to do in that situation," Marceline explained, staring at the ceiling. "Want a Coke?" Ivy asked. She nodded, "Sure Ivy, I could use a boost." "We haven't done anything today but be lazy Marcy, why do you need a boost?" Ivy asked. "We watched the news, that's something, we watched Matilda, that's something, and we also made fun of people in the lobby. So we have done something today," Marceline said, sitting up. "Marcy, your such a smart ass, I love it," Ivy said, handing her a Coke. "I do try, my parents were the definition of sarcasm. Grandparents as well. Parent's died when I was nine, so my grandparents took care of me. I miss them, every day. I mean, their faces I still see in my dreams, but of course, shit happens and we can't control it sometimes," Marceline explained as she sipped her Coke. "That's horrible Marcy," Ivy said, patting her on the back. Marceline shrugged, "You get used to it after a while."

The day seemed normal until Samuel came dashing into the break room. "Guys, we gotta go, like right now," he said, looking exhausted. "Dude what happened?" Ivy asked, stepping on her cigarette. "The gangs back," he said, getting his gun in his hand. "Bear has the car in the parking lot, ready to go," Samuel said, grabbing the girls hands. "Follow me," he said. They both looked at each other and shrugged. "Guys over here!" Isaac called. "Isaac! Thank God! Okay get in quick," Samuel said. Bear was behind the wheel and locked the car doors. "What's going on?" Marceline asked. "The gang that's after Sam, is in Frankfort. Some random guy that Jeff saw yesterday was in Frankfort, and he kept watching us. He's in the gang because of the tattoo on his neck according to Samuel," Isaac explained. "Bear, what about my dad?" Ivy asked. "He said for me to take care of you, to get you to America to live with your grandmother," Bear explained. "But the gang might follow us Bear," C.J. said, looking out the back window. "Sit your butt down C.J., nobody's dying on my watch," Bear said, stepping on the gas.

The car drove away from the motel, as the sun began to set. "Bear, turn on your headlights!" Isaac yelled. "I know how to drive Isaac, I'm thirty eight for fucks sake!" Bear yelled. "Guys calm down, we just need to get out of Germany, or just to an airport," Ivy said. "Uh Ivy, these people are blood thirsty, they could kill all of us and not care. They clearly didn't care after what they did to my family," Samuel said, looking out the back window with C.J. "Well, what happens if we don't leave Germany?" Ivy asked. "Then we all die, what'd you think?" Jeff said. "Calm down back there guys," Bear said. "Sorry, it's just, I'm scared for the sake of you guys. Nobody deserves to die, especially since were on the run," Samuel said, clutching his gun tightly. "Samuel, calm down, hopefully they don't know where we're headed?" Marceline asked. "I don't know Marceline, I just don't know," Samuel said looking up at Marceline. "Bear look out for the tree!!" Jeff screamed. Bear looked up too late and the car crashed into a large oak tree. It flipped over and landed in a big pile of dirt, then it began to snow heavily.