Chapter Three

Today was the day I finished my training. I was a month ahead and luckily my partner was three weeks ahead so I would be meeting him in a week. Mr. Morris came over to congratulate me and present me with a plaque for completing my beginners training. I was also rewarded with an outfit and weapons I was to use when needed.

          "Your first assignment will be a solo since your partner is still training," Mr. Morris said.

          "When is it?" I asked.

          "Tonight," he replied.

          "What is my assignment?" I asked, looking up at him.

          "Break into the school and get me all the data base files on children born from June to September," he stated.

          "Why?"

          "That is the months here when most Lamia are born. Back home we call it 'the birthing of the new generation' seeing as how we are only allowed to produce young every hundred years or so back on Vandal," Mr. Morris explained.

          "Only every hundred years?" I asked, shocked.

          "Yes, unless you're the queen or something of that title," he said and cut his eyes at me.

          "I will carry out the assignment," I said, ignoring his last statement.

         "Very good, see you tomorrow," he said and disappeared out our front door.

          I sighed and walked into the living room where my mom was sitting. "You should get there around midnight when the sky is getting at its darkest," she said without looking at me.

          I nodded and went back to my room. I pulled on the black pants and the black long sleeve t-shirt as well as the black combat boots. I pulled my hair up and pulled a ski mask on and then put on some black gloves. The only visible part of me was my eyes.

          By the time I finished, it was eleven and my parents were preparing for bed. I was too nervous to eat tonight so I let my family eat before exiting my room. I removed the ski mask and gloves until I was ready to leave. Az was watching TV in the living room when I walked in.

          I walked over to him and sat down next to him on the couch. "You should be in bed asleep," I said and he turned his gaze to me.

          "I'm not tired," he said.

          "Why's that?" I asked.

          "I'm too worried about you. Me and Nazar both are," Az said, gesturing to the German Shepard puppy beside him.

          My mother had introduced the puppy to Az as Nazar because it was Arabic for caretaker. My mother had a reason behind everything she did and she saw Nazar as a caretaker for Az when neither them or me was there for Az. Nazar had probably already been trained to protect Az seeing as how Nazar was already almost a year.

          "Don't worry, Az, I'll be okay and I'll be back before you know it," I said and smiled.

          Az smiled back and then when I went to stand he pulled me back down. "Don't leave yet," he said and I smiled and nodded.

          I stayed with him until it was time for me to go. Luckily, Az was already asleep. I carried him to his bed, Nazar following close behind us. When I put Az in his bed Nazar jumped up and curled up next to him.