III

TORYN, TAKASHI AND LAURA SAT ON the bench in the hallway of Gilbert's mental institution, in the waiting area. It was a very small private owned institute with only fifty patients exactly. Toryn sat on the left, Takashi in the middle and his mother on the right.

Laura looked around with her hands clasped together on her lap, her lips folded in a thin line. It was clear this place was a mental institute. The walls were a raincoat yellow and an old circular clock hung on the wall behind the receptionist desk. Old time office phones rang off the hook and a bunch of equipment was constantly being pushed back and forth by employees. Even a few mental patients were roaming freely.

Takashi sat forward, his elbows on his knees and his black hood on his head as he held Toryn's hand. He hated this place but sometimes he came to support her. Toryn's left leg bounced up and down anxiously and she bit her bottom lip. She was dressed in a pretty form fitting blue floral dress with sandals on her feet.

The weather was nice today at 80° degrees, it was the month of June so school was soon coming to an end. Toryn sat impatiently, the lenses of her glasses making her eyes humongous. It almost looked like she was looking through a magnified glass. And she still scrounged up her face when she looked at people as if she couldn't already see them through her ridiculous bifocals. Her hair was in a flat boring ponytail and plain lip Vaseline were on her lips instead of lipgloss or lipstick.

Takashi couldn't lie, sometimes he was embarrassed by her because she was such a dork. But she was his dork.

"Nervy," He said calling her by her nickname. "just chill out."

"What if she remembers this time?" Toryn said excitedly, her eyes looking like two large saucers as she stared at him. Usually he would laugh and even right now he was trying hard not too. Toryn got anxious when she got nervous and that was the last thing he was trying to prevent. "I hope she does."

Never having a good relationship with her family, Toryn visited her mom a lot in the mental hospital, in hopes of trying to jog her memory. Each time she went Allen was nasty and very unaccepting; but she suffered from dementia and schizophrenia so Toryn couldn't be mad. It's not like she was severely hurt by her mother forgetting her because it wasn't like she had any recollection of her either. She was raised by her father from the time she was born.

Toryn honestly felt like she was losing everything. Her father died when she was six, he only got to serve one year in the army. And her mother was sick. She basically had no parents. After the death of her father, Toryn moved in with her grandmother from her father's side. Even living with her for ten years now they still were not close. Toryn mostly stayed in her room, closed off from the older woman.

Laura turned away in disgust, turning away from a mental patient who was waving at her. She cleared her throat, looking at the time on her watch. She sometimes brought the kids down here instead of letting them hop on the bus. Now she was sort of regretting it. She knew Toryn since she was five and she treated her like a second child, but mental places weren't her thing.