Prologue

I tapped my fingers on the counter. The clock struck 2pm. I felt my contacts on my eyes starting to irritate me.

The door was pushed open with lots of force. Two police officers barged in. The first officer looked at me.

"Excuse me Miss but we need to do our regular inspection," he said.

"Okay officer," I said grabbing my wallet.

My heart was pounding. I stood in front of the officers. The second officer stared into my eyes. The first officer held out his hand for my ID. I handed it to him. He scanned my ID in a small monitor that he held. Ding!

I sighed in relieve in my head.

"Have a nice day Ms Bloom," the officers said.

"Have a good day," I said nonchalantly although I was sighing in relief inside.

A man had given me a fake ID and color contact lenses. He told me where I could continue to buy the contacts. And just like that I had a fake identity. I kept my name though.

The officers were inspecting someone outside the store on the sidewalk. The monitor rang like a siren. The other officer shot the person in a swift move.

The government was hunting the grey eyed people. Green eyes were also hunted. Grey eyed people were different. Special. I remember my mother telling me to hide when they came to my doorstep.

I hid in a small cupboard that we had under the stairs. It was covered with wall paper on the outside and was barely visible. The officers asked for everyone's identification. My sister was born with brown eyes so she was completely normal. My mother had brown eyes while my father had blue eyes. The officers finally left but I was told to stay in the cupboard for another hour just in case the officers decided to come back.

I blinked back to reality. The present. I took a deep breath. A customer came in. It was an old woman.

She grabbed a bag of cookies and placed it on the counter. She looked into my eyes.

"Dear you have beautiful eyes. You have to hide them. My granddaughter had eyes like yours but they took her away," the old lady warned me.

My eyes widened. I held my phone to my eyes. She was right. You could see my gray eyes. My contact lenses had dissolved it seemed?

The old lady paid for her cookies and left. It was 3pm. My shift had technically ended. I punched out and put on my dark sunglasses  before walking out of the store. Hopefully the officers had left...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got home and turned on the tv.

"Breaking News! The government is starting to enforce new security regulations to find the grey eyed people. Terminating theses people are a priority. If you or anyone you know have grey eyes turn yourself in. If you know of anyone who has grey eyes report them immediately." The reporter said.

Oh no. I wasn't safe anymore. I needed to flee the country and go north. I needed a ship. There was one person who could get me a ship...