Chapter 5

I sat on my bed in my room. A knock came at the door.

"You can come in," I called out.

"Are you okay?" Daniel asked.

I wondered if he suspected that I was the one who lit the ship on fire.

"I'm fine," I said.

"We haven't talked about Elysium since the attack," Daniel said.

"I know but I think it's a real place," I said. "And maybe your sister went there."

"It's a possibility I guess," Daniel said.

"Should we set sail for Elysium?" I asked.

Daniel considered the question.

"If it's even a possibility I think we should try to get there..." Daniel said.

"But?" I asked.

"Think about why no one has come back to tell us about it. Did people even make it there? Is there something guarding it?" Daniel asked.

"Maybe," I said.

"Well...I should get back to my post," Daniel said.

I noticed the way his eyelashes were long. And his hair was messy and unkept. His lips curved up in a smile.

Daniel turned around and left my room.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Daniel's POV

Kiera's face lingered in my mind. The way her eyebrows furrowed when she asked a question. Her eyes that shone with curiosity.

At times I wondered if I was even living since everything seemed so dull. I had spent years learning how to sail. Occasionally playing poker with shady people. And I spent my time trying to find my next adventure.

When Kiera came to Charlie asking for a ship, Charlie suggested I help her sail through the waters. This had been the best adventure yet. But now I was starting to like Kiera.

"Daniel hello? Lad you have to pay attention to the waters," Henry the old man said.

"Oh right," I said.

"If you're thinking about Kiera I guess I understand why you're distracted," Henry said.

"Why would you think that?" I asked.

"She's pretty and you guys can grow close out here in the ocean under the same roof," Henry winked.

Henry walked away.

Night was falling.

Walter, the guy we had found on the sinking ship, approached me.

"If you're also going to talk to me about my love life I'd rather just go to sleep," I muttered.

"Huh?" Walter said.

"Never mind," I said.

"I'm here to relieve you of your duty captain. You can go sleep and I'll keep watch. I'll wake you in the morning," Walter said.

"Thanks," I said.

I walked to my cabin. And thought about my earlier conversation with Kiera. If there was a safe haven then it must be guarded by something like a creature of the ocean.

That night I dreamt of Kiera.

I sat on a hill. I looked next to me and saw Kiera. I reached for her hand and kissed it. The ocean surrounded us.

"We're safe now Daniel," she said.

But when I looked at Kiera there was something different about her appearance.

Her eyes were grey.

I quickly stood up. Kiera looked at me with a hurt expression on her face.

"Kiera you have grey eyes," I said.

"Daniel I —

Kiera burst into flames. Then the hill was on fire. All I could see were flames and smoke.

"Kiera!!!"

I woke up panting.