Chapter 4

A bullet hit the post I was standing beside. A few more bullets whizzed through the air near me and Daniel.

"Pirates," Daniel muttered.

"Pirates?" I whispered.

"Where are the twins?" He shouted.

"Below deck I think," I said.

A second later they came running up the stairs to the deck with a machine gun and ammunition. Terrance carried the gun while Austin loaded the gun. They started firing at the pirates.

Walter came running up to the deck.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Pirates," Daniel said handing him a gun.

Daniel turned to me. He put a gun in my hand. He held the gun with me.

"Safety off," he said pushing back a switch. "Aim and pull the trigger."

I nodded.

Daniel took hold of the wheel and turned us around.

I saw a pirate reach for his gun. I aimed at his chest and pulled the trigger. I shot his shoulder.

"Ah!" He yelled.

I aimed and pulled the trigger. His chest was now bloody. And he staggered back and fell. The other pirates loaded their canons and fired at us. The boat shook.

"GET BELOW DECK!" Daniel shouted. "OUR CANONS!"

The twins ran below deck. And we fired back at the ship. One of the pirates fired at me but I managed to dodge by dropping to the floor in a crouch.

Austin and Terrance were able to get our canons to fire back.

I reloaded my gun.

"KIERA GET—" but I never got to hear what Daniel was going to say because he fell.

"Daniel!" I exclaimed.

I ran to him.

His side was bleeding.

Then the old woman emerged from below. She took off her hood and looked at the pirate ship. Her eyes were full of disdain and sorrow.

I was furious. Who did these pirates think they were?! Why were they attacking us?! Daniel is dying because of them!

I glared at the pirate ship. I screamed in frustration. My skull was pounding. I could hear a ringing in my ears. My blood was boiling.

And suddenly there were flames on the pirate ship. I aimed my gun at a pirate who was dancing around gleefully. And pulled the trigger. As I pulled the trigger the whole ship was engulfed in flames. The flames seemed to rise from below deck...

I looked over at the old woman.

How could she do that? I thought. A whole ship.

Her eyebrows were raised.

Then I understood. She hadn't done that. She wasn't responsible.