Somewhere Not Here

Chapter 1: Stupid Factory Mistakes

My name is Elena and I just graduated high school in Tampa and I am ready to leave. I had wanted to leave my small town, maybe not so small, life behind for a while now. I wanted to pursue my dreams and go somewhere bigger and start university. Mother had not wanted me to go. She said she needed help taking care of my crazy little brother James and I can go to the local community college. He was 16 though and Mother would be able to handle him on her own.

It was an ordinary Friday night. I was hanging out with my friends eating at a Chinese restaurant and laughing our heads off at the stupidest things.

We ordered our food from the waiter and ordered extra fortune cookies because we were feeling in a fortune mood.

Although, the main reason was we wanted to hear the dumb fortunes that the factory machines make up. The last time I had a fortune cookie my fortune was something along the lines of, "Your mother is so proud of you for succeeding!" Says a cookie the day after I failed my math test.

I can't help but wonder why there are even fortunes in fortune cookies. They are just stupid factory mistakes. They are never of any use to me either.

The waiter came back with sweet smelling food and heaps of fortune cookies. I took the very point of the pyramid. I cracked open my cookie and took my fortune out. I place it upside-down on top of the table because I had to eat the cookie first because otherwise I would concentrate on the stupid factory mistake instead of the beautiful cookie. I shoved the whole cookie in my mouth and I picked up my fortune. The message read, Elena, your life is in danger. I can't say why, but say nothing to anyone. You must leave this town immediately and never return. I repeat: say nothing.

I was quite shocked at my latest fortune. I was not sure if it was a joke from my friends who knew I wanted to leave this town or not. I figured it must be or another stupid factory mistake. I decided it would be best not to tell anyone in case it was the truth, but that didn't mean I was going to leave.

As I shoved my fortune into the pocket of my blue jeans my friends asked me what it said. I replied by saying it was another stupid made up one.

Later that day I was home and I was lying in bed and reading the fortune over and over. How was my life in danger? How'd it know my name? I had so many questions. After a few minutes, I realized that I was set back by it, but I was not too sure why or if I should obey it. I waited a few weeks to see if there would be another warning and surely there was.