Chapter 1

I, Ash Carter, hate the rain.

In fact, I hate it so much I'd prefer it rained down faeces than water. Well, that's a bit extreme, but we live in an extreme world. Well, I think we do.

It's been two hundred and eighty-four days since the declaration. The one that changed the world. When magic collided with reality and war decided to rage on, when families were torn and blood spilt.

Two hundred and eighty-four days since I'd seen my normal family and friends, since my life wasn't constantly threated by, mundanes. Mundanes are humans, without the special ability. You see, this war started when humans discovered magic, and that there was no place in the world for it. So they started to kill us. To stop the spells, to stake the vamps and burn the witches. We were forced to run and war between councils and government sprung out in rage and fear. No one was safe on either side. Sometimes people never saw their families again because they were lucky and got out before the raids started. The raids where they would pull you by your hair out of a warm bed and scan you with a cold look. If the scanner went red, you should ignore the rules and bust out the magic.

I never cared so much about that, I only cared about seeing my family again. My gorgeous little group who loved and adored my magic, my connection with the season. To me, it's a girly talent, but to her, and the rest of my many siblings, it was the greatest thing in the world. My family's eyes were all brown, they were all normal. They would have been put in a camp for protection, I hoped anyway. Everywhere was overrun with mundanes, it was hard to know if  they were safe or not. I miss my family, a lot.

I'm not alone in this hell, along the way I've picked up a few people. The oldest, a human who is wanted for treason, he claims he killed the soldiers for a good reason, but I don't think that's entirely true. His name is Johnson, John for short. He's a tall stocky mid 40 year old, one who easily kicks ass when needed. He says he is looking for Mal, his water user wife. His cold brown eyes tell stories of fear for her.

Kat, is 18 and holds a baby on her hip. The baby, we soon learned, is not hers, but just something she found while wandering. She is a vampire, one who controls fire. She only stays because of the baby, the little monster has grown fond of us all. Kat's eyes are an ice blue and then compliment her short being well. And finally, there's El, 16 year old, grey eyed, brunette with a stick so far up her ass I'm surprised she can breathe. She has left her ability unknown, nor does she speak often. John often tells me to leave her go, she could be one of the bad users that still lurk around, but something about her says otherwise.

From twisting seasons, to blowing things up, our little group is incredibly diverse.

This was my apocalypse, where green and blue eyes were the sign of the devil and you either fight or die.

This is why I hate the rain.