Chapter 1

Houston, Present Day

Solange and Michelle happened to be in town the same day. Both of them brought flowers, Solange brought white lilies and Michelle brought pink roses. When they saw each other at the entrance, they flashed each other a surprised look followed by a quick smile.

"Hey. I didn't know you were going to be here." Solange said.

"Yeah, it's crazy, isn't it?" Michelle replied. "Are you here for..."

"Yeah." Solange cut her off before she could say anymore. The two walked along side each other down the stone path, passing a fountain before continuing to speak.

"What brings you to Houston?" Solange asked.

"Oh, you know...it's..." Michelle trailed off.

"The anniversary." The younger girl finished. Michelle smiled sadly at the ground, trying so hard not to tear up.

"It's been, what, five years since then?"

"Yeah. Five years." Solange replied. "How's Trevor doing?"

"Trevor's going for his masters. He has a huge assignment due otherwise he would be here." Michelle stated. "We finally got an apartment together once he got his teaching fellowship." Solange smiled at the thought.

"I never thought Trevor would even get past college."

"He's really passionate about his education. Something about following in Miss Houston's footsteps, I guess." Michelle explained.

"And your still working on that album?"

"I'm taking a break, for now at least. But I'm looking to get it finished before the year ends." Michelle flashed a hopeful grin in Solange's direction.

"I hope you do. You were the most passionate out of all of us." Solange touched her shoulder gently and she welcomed the warmth of her fingers. It was such a cold day out, nothing surprising given that it was November but it was perhaps this day in particular that made it especially bitter.

"How's Alan?"

"Oh, you know, out traveling the world. Last I heard he was somewhere in Tennessee. He sends postcards every now and then and I get to call him during the evenings if he isn't busy."

"Sounds like he's doing well." Michelle said. "I mean, it was always his dream..." Solange stopped mid-step, causing Michelle to stumble forward a little. "Solange?" She had gone unhealthly pale and her mouth dropped. Michelle had never seen a look so scared and so surprised on her face before. She followed her gaze forward and nearly dropped her flowers when she saw what Solange was so focused on.

"Oh my god." The younger girl whispered. "It can't be..."

A woman in a tan trench coat stood about a hundred feet ahead with her back facing the two of them. She held a bouquet of yellow daisies in her arms, cradled like it was a child. She knelt down and put the flowers on the soft grass in front of the tomb stone and put one hand on it. Solange heard her whispere something.

"I've missed you..." The woman said.

"Solange..." Michelle grabbed her arm. "Solange... that's..."

"Shut up... I know." Solange hissed. She thought back to a conversation she had with Alan two days ago.

It was 3 in the morning when Alan called her. She looked at her cellphone angrily.

"What?" She demanded, putting the phone to her ear.

"Solange. I saw her." He said urgently.

"Her?" Solange asked

"Sol, I saw her. She's here. I talked with her for all of three seconds. Babe, she's alive and she's well." Solange suddenly got a lot more awake.