Just A Dream

"I'll be back tonight. Don't miss me too much."

Cam leaned forward and kissed me, fixing my backpack strap lying loosely on my shoulder.

"I'll try not too." I laughed as I backed away, saluting him before turning my back to him and heading up the steps and into the school.

The school I'd be leaving behind in a little less than a month, the school I'd spent the last four years of my life in.

"I don't want to take those shitty exams." Shay groaned as she fell into step beside me, her head bobbing side to side. Before I could go on, I felt someone on the other side of me.

"None of us do, my love. But we have too." Ray nudged me playfully, winking at Shay. My best friend shook her head with a quiet laugh.

"I'm sure you don't care, Raymond. All the teachers love you. Some of us, though, some of us have brains the size of peanuts."

*

I couldn't focus on my tests for the life of me. My mind kept drifting to college, to Stanford. To Cam visiting the campus without me.

It had been a mutual decision. Because Ray had somehow managed to get accepted as well, Cam had suggested Ray and I took a trip down there ourselves after graduation. I knew he wanted to speak with his Dad, the principal and head of the University, and hadn't wanted us there with him. So I'd agreed, said it was fine.

But sitting in class, with two hours left until we got out, I couldn't force my mind to focus on the exam for the life of me. Even if I did find my thoughts drifting away from Cam and college, it would find some other thing to sit and attack.

"Ms. Hart, is everything okay?" Mr. Matthews questioned, his eyes narrowed from behind his thick glasses. I nodded, a small smile forced on to my face.

"Yes, sir." I whispered.

I did my best to focus for the rest of the test, and actually seemed to get a hold of myself for a while. But my wandering thoughts and exhaustion returned the second the last bell of the day rang and I was allowed to go.

I searched the lot for Shay, hoping to somehow manage to catch a ride from her, but she was already gone. Probably miles away from the school, considering she'd been itching to get those tests and high school in general over with for months.

I was surprised when my eyes fell on a family old car slowing to a stop in front of me.

"Do you need a ride?" He questioned, eyebrows arched.

"No, James." I huffed, "Just go home. I can walk." He shook his head and reached over to open the passenger side door.

"If you don't get in, I will just follow you home until you do." He said, a look in his eyes that told me he wasn't bluffing.

"I don't need a ride, James. I've walked-"

"You're pregnant. That's the difference." He answered before I could even finish my debate. I glanced around me one last time before giving in. I climbed into the car, shutting the door hard so he would says something that would force me out.

"How was your day?" He asked, waiting for a few kids to pass in front of us.

"Exhausting." I grumbled.

"Of course it was. Good thing you'll be graduating in a couple weeks, yeah?" He offered a smile, but I couldn't bring myself to return it.

I leaned back against my seat as we pulled out of the clustered parking lot, relieved when we were out and on the major streets again. James stayed quiet, occasionally glancing over at me to make sure I was still there and not ready to open the door and jump out of the moving car.