A Swan Amid Ducks

The children's cheerful shrieks echoed throughout the playground of the school, and their resounding cries filled the ears of many. Although the sound was quite annoying, it showed that the children were happy, and that was all that mattered. If one were to enter the playground, that person would be swarmed by smiles, warmth, and sticky fingers. Their eyes would be lit up, pleased that they had someone else to share their joy with.

However, if one were to examine the situation closer, their joy is darker than first perceived. The youngsters' childhood innocence was poisoned by the beliefs of their pale moms and dads.

If someone actually looked, they would see a singular girl away from the others. Her head would be down, with torn up cornrows matching her dark face. If one approaches her, they would see her ripped and faded clothes. The girl's scratched up knees and elbows would become more distinct.

If someone were to rest next to her, she'd flinch. Tenser with every moment, she would be terrified frozen.

Her black eyes would display a great fear. But they'd also hide a deeper loneliness.

And that person would embrace her. She'd know she was loved.

But no one cares.

Her skin's wrong

Not white.

Black.