Chapter 12

Blaire's POV

I had just gotten back from detention.

I came home to an empty house as usual and decided I had lost my appetite.

I strode upstairs toward my room feeling awfully cold even though the house was warm.

I walked into my bathroom and stripped turning the bath faucet on letting it run till it was full.

I slipped in instantly feeling the warmth overtake my skin, making my muscles feel numb.

And as I sat there I thought about the night.

Why did I ever agree to that stupid bet. Wesley is dangerous and I don't even know him. I've exchanged words with him twice!

I didn't think I'd be able to face him again, for the safety of myself. And for all I know he could do a lot worse than dealing.

All and all I was afraid of Wesley, he was mixed with the wrong crowd and I didn't want anything to do with him.

Was I over thinking it though?

Wesley didn't seem like the kind of guy that would be wound up in all that, I thought he was just an arrogant prick.

But our perception of people is not always the truth. Some of us hide behind our own insecurities and secrets, not letting people know the real us.

We put on a mask, hiding our true selves. On the inside we're numb and on the outside we are doing our best to show the world how they preserve perfection.

Why did my mother have to leave me?

I use to be beautiful on the inside and out, now I'm neither.

A tear rolls down my cheek, I wipe it up quickly realising I started to cry.

This wasn't about me, this was about Wesley.

Tomorrow I'd go up to Joey and tell him the bet was off.

I was now sitting in my car in the school car park, thinking over in my head what I'd say to Joey.

"I've decided I don't want to do this bet anymore."

No.

"This stupid bet is done, I'm out."

Ugh.

I just decided to wing it, I was already late to school. I didn't sleep much last night, as I was starting to have my dreams again.

After my mother died I started having dreams, well nightmares, they were horrible. They alway consisting of my mother screaming for help and a strange blurry man pulling me away from her. I woke up screaming and crying, I had them for a couple years until I started going to therapy, and somehow it helped.

However I haven't been to therapy in a very long time and the dreams are coming back slowly but surely.

I grabbed my bag and locked my car, making my way to first class. I deciding against going to my locker to be even later, so I walked straight to my first period.

I was about to turn the corner to the classroom when I heard the familiar voice of Wesley Woods.

I hid around the corner trying to listen in on his conversation and it sounded as if he was on the phone.

"Hey Mom, I'm going to come see you today. Dad hasn't been home all week probably out somewhere on the streets again, like last time when the police found him." He chuckled awkwardly.

Wait what, were his parents split up? And why would his dad be in the streets?

"Dad's been pretty easy on me lately but I've been trying to keep Annalise away from him and out of danger. We've been crashing with Daniel."

In danger of what, his dad? Who's Annalise? I have so many unanswered questions.

"But enough about Dad, I've gotten paid again. I'm going to bring the money to you in the hospital. No...Mo- Mom, Mom! Stop! I'll bringing it I don't need it and that's final..."

He trailed off as his mother kept speaking on the other end.

"I understand. Rest up, I love you."

Wesley let out a loud sigh as he ended the call with his mother.

A wave of sadness crashed over me, I was so confused.

But before I could retreat my hiding spot, Wesley came around the corner crashing straight into me.

I stumbled back but Wesley grabbed my waist pulling me in, regaining my balance.

There was little space between the two of us and I looked up to see Wesley staring at me intently.

I flushed embarrassed that he had caught me eavesdropping but his eyes didn't show anger, they showed... sadness.

"What the fuck did you hear." He frowned pushing me off him.

I looked down still flushed and decided to tell him the truth.

"Everything." I whispered.

He groaned angrily.

"Wesley... I won't tell anyone you know that right?" I spoke.

"You better fucking not otherwise you won't like to know what will happen to you." He growled.

I grew anxious. This was a touchy subject no doubt.

"But- I do want to know what you were talking about." I murmured.

Hi face grew instantly dark.

"What makes you think you have the right to know my personal business? I don't even know you." He seethed.

"I know, but everyone has secrets and sometime it's better to get them out. So you either tell me the whole story or I tell everyone what I heard, I'm not afraid of you." I said sternly, curiosity was killing me. I needed to know.

"Well you should be." He yelled.

"It's your choice."

He frowned obviously annoyed.

"How about a secret for a secret?" He questioned with a gleam in his eye.

I nodded.

"Agreed."

He shrugged satisfied and walked away. He walked away as if he didn't know me, as if this didn't just happen.

I sighed.

Did I just make a deal with the devil... literally?