ii. i could try

"for the bloody millionth time, i can't help your sister!" ashton glared at his best mate who was obnoxiously blocking the television screen.

"why not?"

"i don't know. do you really expect me to just show up and magically make her 'happy' again?" he said, clearly exasperated. "cuz suprise suprise, that's not how mental disorders work."

"yeah, but you can try, couldn't you?" he ran his fingers through his tangled hair. if ashton was completely honest, luke looked like a right mess. A really annoying right mess, actually.

"no luke, just fuck off."

luke began to pace (about time, ash thought, he'd missed about 5 minutes of the game because of luke's freakish height) "but i just thought that cuz you've been through shit and stuff maybe you cou-"

"that was years ago. dude, just let it go."

"well, you're studying all that medical stuff too, and if you haven't noticed already, it's been a year and i'm kinda really desperate right now and-" he rambled.

"just leave me alone." he turned away and diverted his focus onto the game.

luke stopped his stride.

the football game played softly in the background, ashton's eyes stayed fixated on the screen in attempt to avoid his friend now sitting on the opposite couch.

luke sighed and took a shaky breath.

"I don't think you get it, I need you to try, please ashton. i don't think i can see her fucking face again knowing she hasn't smiled for so long. it hurts like hell to know she thinks nobody's there for her, because I am. I love her and i need to help her, ashton, just please."

ashton turned to face his friend as a muffled sob escaped luke's lips. he was the one looking away from ashton now, blinking as he glared at the empty walls, desperately trying to hold it in.

he sighed, staring at the broken boy, "i guess I could try."