Chapter 1

My name is Sakura Uchiha.

I am twenty-two years old. Five years has passed since I first joined the Uchiha manor.

Uchi-- Sasuke and I got married a bit over a year ago. Everyone was there- Lady Tsunade, Naruto, Hinata, Ino, Rin, and everyone else.

They were my friends.

I woke up in Uchiha's hospital wing four years ago, twelve months after I worked in the Uchiha Manor. I couldn't remember anything, except that I worked there. I thought that I had just woken up from when the wolves came.

But I wasn't afraid.

Actually, when I woke up all I felt was happiness- just pure happiness. It was almost like a baby's state- I smiled at anyone who came to me, regardless if they were frowning or not.

Then, Sasuke. And he kissed me.

It startled me- it startled me quite a bit. However, the feeling was blissful- and it felt, as if, I had known this feeling before.

After he left, Lady Tsunade explained everything to me- how I lost my memory, my story with my friends, Itachi Uchiha, the two balls, and Sasuke Uchiha.

He and I got married. I was told that, before I lost my memory, I loved him. And that he loved me. I was told that I was going to be his wife, the day I was kidnapped by his brother and the day I lost my memory.

They tried for weeks on end to restore my memory back. Even when Lady Tsunade broke the news that this sort of memory loss was irreversible, Sasuke insisted that they still tried. Eventually, they stopped the surgeries and head examinations and drugs. They assigned me to counseling with Tsunade every day to get my memory back.

I know, though. I know that nobody expects me to remember all that's happened, nobody but Sasuke.

But that feeling I got when he kissed me- it was powerful. So when he suggested that we get married a year ago, I agreed. There must have been a reason why the past me loved him so much.

I just needed to find out why.

"Are you awake?"

Sakura stirred in her sleep as she flipped over to the other side. "Sakura, are you awake?"

"...Cold," she mumbled as she tugged the blanket to cover her bare legs. Sasuke relented. "Okay, fine. You are awake though, right?"

She nodded. The bed creaked as Sasuke hefted himself out of the bed and headed towards the kitchen. "Do you want anything for breakfast?"

"Is it okay if we could have dumplings?"

Sasuke peered over at her. "You want dumplings for breakfast? Do you remember something?"

There was that too. Whatever she said, however random it was, he sometimes asked her if she remembered something. Whether it be that the color red reminded her of someone's hair, or when she pointed at a towel and asked him to hand it to her to dry her hair, or picked up a book to start reading it- he asked her if she recalled something.

Sadly, the answer was no. Every time.

He sighed as the sound of dumplings sizzling crackled through the air. "It was worth a shot."

Sakura felt bad whenever she had to say no- it was obvious that Sasuke loved her. He spent three years giving her whatever she wanted, paying her a private tutor so that she could get educated properly, invited her parents to stay at the manor (which the answer was no), and basically treated her like a queen.

Sakura also felt guilty of something else. She wasn't in love with this man.

She only married him because of how devoted he was to her- but she didn't reciprocate any feelings back. Nothing as strong as his, anyways.

She just thought that if she got her memory back, she could love him again. The right way, not the false way that she had been putting up for a year already.

"Dumplings are served," he said as he balanced the plate of dumplings on his hand. "Thank you very much," Sakura said quietly as she reached for a glass of water, which Sasuke gladly handed to her.

After downing it, Sakura sat up. "Please tell me about the year I lost."

Sasuke looked away. "I'd much rather you remembered, than me telling you."

Sakura looked at him. "Can't you tell me, Uchi-"

"Hasn't Tsunade already told you the basics? You came here in search of money, I lent you the money, had a ball, that whole fiasco about Karin-"

Sakura sat down next to him. "Uchiha-"

"Sasuke. I'm your husband."

She nodded, distracted. "Yes... Sasuke, I don't want to know the basics. Maybe learning everything in detail would help me remember."

He hesitated, then nodded. "You're probably curious as to why I asked you if you remembered anything when you said you wanted dumplings, right?" She nodded.

He carefully took one, then motioned for her mouth to say 'ah'. Sakura hesitated, then slightly opened her mouth.

He shoved it inside.

She gagged slightly as she chewed the soft meat and outer skin, then swallowed. "What- what was that?" she coughed lightly. Sasuke looked around sheepishly. "I did that to you once. Shoved a dumpling in your mouth, I mean. You were talking to me, kept calling my name in a really annoying way, so I put that inside to shut you up." He laughed slightly.

Sakura smiled and tucked a lock of pink hair behind her ear. "Did that help at all?" he said, studying her closely. She shook her head.

Sasuke sighed. "It was worth a shot."

Quiet eating continued.

"...Sakura, did you forget your love for me, too?" Sakura felt a twinge in her chest. "No, of course I didn't. I did marry you, after all." Sasuke was staring at her. "Yes, but... sometimes I feel that you only married me out of pity."

The twinge turned into a stab to see her husband's crestfallen face. "I married you because I loved you," Sakura said, turning the lie into a half-truth. She did love him- before. She was definitely attracted to Sasuke right now, but not love. This wasn't love.

"Loved me? So you do love me?"

She nodded, then hugged him. "I do love you."

I am so sorry, Uchiha.

-

-

-

Hello, readers!

I'd like to be the first to say thank you! for picking up- or clicking- on this book to give it a try. If you are a new reader, I strongly suggest to turn around and read the first book of this series- The Flower and the Avenger! 

And to my old readers, CONGRATULATIONS! We have reached the #2 spot on "What's Hot" in the tag #sasusaku. Please continue on reading and voting to make this book earn #1!

I apologize for the cliffhanger I left behind last book, but I made up for it, didn't I? <huehue>

Please continue on the next chapter as soon as I put it up.

~ Joanna Park ~ -Storywriter-