Chapter 1

• Dedicated to All of the people who have ever dreamed of becoming a writer!

Clary Fray POV:

The early morning light peeked through the curtains of my room in the New York Institute. I could hear the creak of the elevator, letting me know that someone had arrived. I sat up quickly. Who could that be? I wondered to myself as I threw my legs off my bed. As I reached for the doorknob, the door swung open.

"AAAAA!!" I screamed as I jumped back.

"Sorry! Sorry Clary!" said Jace Lightwood, my boyfriend, as he threw his arms in front of his face.

"I'm not going to hit you!" I laughed. His face grew serious.

"You know, you should have been prepared to attack, just in case it was someone else. You never know when Sebastian will come back." he said, the teasing tone of his voice gone.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Are you the one who came up in the elevator?" I asked wanting to get down to the bottom of it.

"No, that was Maryse. She just got back form Long Island." he stated.

"Why was Maryse in Long Island?" I asked suddenly interested.

" I have no idea. Most likely some minor demon activity, nothing to be worried about." Jace said as he walked out of my room.

"Where are you going now" I asked slightly confused. A huge grin spread across his face.

"The kitchen! Your mom and Luke just got back and they're helping Maryse make breakfast!" He said as he reaced for my hand. I just looked at him and he pulled his hand back. "What?" He asked puzzledly.

" My hair looks awful and I'm in pajamas. Give me ten minutes. I'll meet you there." I answered as I shut my door. I laughed at myself as I ran a brush through my wild, red curls. The look on his face as I shut the door was priceless! I grabbed a ponytail holder from my bathroom counter and pulled my hair back into a ponytail. I was no Isabelle, but at least my hair no longer looked like Medusa's. I walked back into my room, and pulled a t-shirt and jeans out of my suitcase. I didn't live at the Institute year-round like Jace, Alec, and Isabelle. But while my mom was with Luke in Idris, they both thought that it would be safer for me to stay at the Institute. Mostly because I'm on my big brother's hit list. I slipped into my favorite converse and walked to the kitchen.

"Clary honey!!!!!" my mom screamed as she ran over to me.

"Missed you too mom." I said as she wrapped me in a big hug.

"Hi Clary." Luke said from his seat at the table.

"Hey Luke. Um, mom? Do you think you can let me go now. You're kind of strangling me." I said as my mom gasped and let go of me.

"Sorry Clary." mom said with a small smile.

"I know. So, Maryse? What happened in Long Island?" I asked wanting to get off of the 'I missed you' subject.

"Well, I don't know for sure. There is strong magic at work, though Magnus says he doesn't have anything to do with it. And there are....things." She said with uncertainty.

"Things? So.....not downworlders or demons?" I asked puzzled.

"No, I don't think so" She said. Everyone was quiet. If it's not downworlders or demons, I thought, then what could it be?

Percy Jackson POV:

The light glinted off of the lake at Camp Half-Blood. The water lapped gently to the sandy shore. It was perfect.