Busy Berlin

September 1916.  Kitchener, Ontario.

Dearest Gertrud,

How do you fare in Pennsylvania? I miss you and our other cousins desperately, but I do not dare to leave home at this time. Not only has the war placed restrictions on the travel allowed via rail, but we have also seen some unfortunate tension in our very own city over the last few months. It has made me fear leaving the farm, as I am never sure if I am to encounter a blistering streak of anger in the streets.

I have not mentioned it before now, as I was hoping that the tensions would dissipate once those around us began to understand we are no threat. Our German roots are so distant in comparison to our Mennonite ties, but the British-born do not seem to understand. They call us disloyal to Canada because our men have not volunteered to fight. This is not our way. Our Anabaptist forefathers have taught us the importance of peace before all else. No, our men cannot take up arms, not even if we face persecution. We must uphold our beliefs.

I am frustrated that I am not considered Canadian even though I was born of this land. It was not easy for Mother and Father to leave America, but they sought refuge from the strong nationalism there. All they wanted was land on which to create a home, and now those around us would seek to cast us out!

Our ties to Germany may be more distant, but many of the most recent immigrants have arrived from Europe over the last fifty years. Up until now it has not been in question that these German-born Canadians share similar values to our Anglo-Canadian counterparts. They have assimilated nicely, and helped build this town. As a center of industry, it is practically unrivalled.

Waterloo County has been recognized as a proud Germanic settlement and many of our politicians and city officials boast this heritage. Public schools and churches were rooted in the German language and did not face the opposition they do now. So many of these institutions have been closed down in the wake of the war. I do not even dare to speak my mother tongue in the streets!

Imagine, this follows not two years behind the infamous visit of the Governor General, the Duke of Connaught. When he visited in 1914 he sang the praises of the German people, stating it was their tenacity and thoroughness that had made Berlin the successful settlement it was. He also said that these qualities would go far in making good Canadians who were loyal to the British Empire. How easily one forgets!

The tides turned quickly, Cousin, when war was declared that same year. Almost overnight, Germans became the most vilified enemy aliens in Canada. We have been demonized and ostracized, based on few facts. How are we, a peacekeeping people, to be seen as accountable for war crimes - real and imagined - committed across the great ocean?

The crimes that have been proven have been great transgressions, indeed, and I do not excuse this behaviour. The sinking of the Lusitania that resulted in the death of so many civilians - men, women and children - was devastating. Furthermore, the execution of the nurse Edith Cavell for her actions in helping the Allies is inexcusable. However, no German Canadian had a hand in these actions. Must we pay the price?

I feel deeply conflicted for the newest German settlers. Their ties to Germany are still strong, and many cannot in good conscience fight against their home country. I may be a pacifist who opposes military action, but I can sympathize with the moral distress this may cause. Sadly, this fact has further vilified these men in the eyes of their neighbours. Some have received written threats stating dire consequences if they are suspected of spying for, or sympathizing with, the enemy.

Local Germans have had their businesses attacked, and reports are spreading that similar events have occurred across the country. Riots have broken out in Montreal, Victoria and Winnipeg. Shopkeepers are facing economic ruin and social ostracization, and I do not expect that there will be any legal consequences.

Do you understand now why I am fearful?

This is not the worst of it, I am afraid. A local Lutheran minister has become the focus of much hatred after he was said to have ordered his children not to sing the British national anthem, or salute the Union Jack. Pride in the land of your fathers is one thing, but foolish bravado is another. Tappert's actions stoked the burning fires of hatred of the local battalion.

In March of this year, sixty soldiers entered his home, hauled him into the street and beat him. He was tied to horses and dragged down the street, the pavement scraping his flesh. The minister has since resigned his position at St. Matthew's and fled back to the sanctity of the United States. The two soldiers responsible for the attack only received suspended sentences. The general sentiment is that justice had been served. I cannot believe that God would condone this hatred.

Ruffians have also attacked two local German clubs in recent months. Each time members of the 118th Battalion were to blame, and each time their actions were deemed justified. No remuneration is to be awarded, as it might engender further negative feelings on the part of the British soldiers. But at what cost to us? German literature, music, and flags were destroyed during each ransacking, some of which was burned in the streets. The thought of such public and vehement displays of anti-German is enough to leave my heart quaking within my chest.

And now, our proud city has been renamed. Anti-German sentiments have created peak in tension, and the manufactured goods produced here have been boycotted. The once proud marking "Made in Berlin" is now a deterrent. German patriotism and local pride was no match for those who protested. The results of the referendum are in and the people have voted. A small majority took the lead and Berlin we are no more.

Many suggestions were made for a new name for our city, some of which were very strange, indeed. Editorials in newspapers in the rest of Ontario have lambasted the creativity, but luckily many were cut. The final six that appeared on the ballot were more sensible than I expected. The newest addition was the name of Kitchener, used in memory of Britain's Secretary of State of War who has been recently killed in the war. In the end, it was this name that was deemed most popular and as of last week our city has been renamed.

I wonder if this will satisfy the Brits of Galt? I cannot imagine that the intimidation and frustration will dissipate simply because we have relabelled our city. However, I can only pray that the change will ease the tensions and once again we can learn to find peace on the home front.

Go with God,

Maria