A feeling of missing

"I am sorry for interrupting your off time, Commander," Jim apologized.

Jennifer, more known as Jenny, looked up at him.

"It is fine, captain," Jenny said. "my sister was going to make me watch sister act," she shrugged. "I have seen it more times than she has. Don't really want to watch it for the thousandth time."

Jim sighed, out of relief.

"All right," Jim said. "I am sorry for not informing you earlier. . . I just. . . forgot." the man guilty rub bed the back of his neck looking over toward the short woman. Jenny was five foot five compared to his six foot tall figure.

"You are forgiven," Jenny said, then boarded the transporter padd with Jefferson. "don't need to apologize again."

"Be careful," Jim said.

"I will, dad," Jenny said, earning a amused smile from the man.

"Energize," Jim said.

Jenny vanished from the transporter padd in a golden haze of light. Jim had a long sigh then walked out of the transporter room with his hands locked behind his back. The dark, young woman reappeared by the graying but older security officer who had a lieutenant rank on his sleeve. They were standing by a stand with a old woman behind the counter reading a novel. The old woman got up on to her feet, "welcome to the fruit chocolate shop, how may I help you?" Jenny looked over to see what was being sold. She saw various chocolates, vegetables dipped in chocolate, and candy. The chocolate appeared to be delicious yet dark. A world could be dark if one saw it that way. It truly could. Just like chocolate coating over a snickers bar. She looked up at the direction of the vender.

Jefferson leaned forward gazing at the products rubbing his chin.

They all looked good enough to purchase and consume.

"How much does it cost?" Jenny asked.

The vender looked at her, bewildered.

"How much?" the vender asked.

"Yes, how much," Jenny said.

"It costs nothing. We abolished currency a hundred years ago," the vender smiled. "my, you look so young, younger than the other fellow who took one earlier."

"Then how are you making a living?" Jefferson asked. "We still have federation credits."

"Close to currency for us," Jenny said. "civilization needs it."

"You cannot be at this stage of civilization before achieving warp drive this easily," Jefferson said.

"Money is useless," the vender said. "we give and give everyone the right to have a bed, food, and the pursuit of happiness. Currency gives greed, greed gives arrogance, and arrogance gives us deaths mass, senseless deaths." the vender shuddered. "we do not wish to go back where we came from," the vender look at the two, curiously. "I have you know that we grow our products and have machines take care of fine tune it to what you see now." the vender gestured toward the sweets.

"Interesting," Jenny said. Jefferson reached a hand out to a coated strawberry. "what caused this?"

The vender glared a hole through the woman's forehead.

"We rather not talk about it," the vender said, bitterly. "it is a shame to our civilization and basic Cart-twoian right."

"If no one talked about it, then the mistakes will be repeated," Jenny said, as Jefferson bit into the strawberry. "don't you think?"

The vender's face turned a dark shade of blue.

"Yes. . ." the vender relaxed their six fingers. "greed overwhelmed them and it outweighed the weight of lives," the last part came out ominous. "That is all you need to know."