Beautiful

Alicia's mother had always told her that she was beautiful. Even on days when she just wanted to stay in her room in pajamas, cuddling up with a blanket, not caring about the mess her hair was. Alicia had always thought her mother said that to try to cheer her up. She thought that her mother thought that this mood or behavior was caused by an event or a series of events with a good piece of emotions, that would have somehow managed to upset her. However, that was very much not the case. Alicia did never let anything affect her so much that it would affect other people too. She thought it was best kept that way. on theses days she preferred to be left alone, then she would drag out a torn notebook and start scribbling something but as soon as someone came, most often it would have been her mother that wanted to tell he, more often on these days than normally, that she was beautiful.

Alicia had not fully understood what her mother meant by always telling her that she was indeed beautiful. She first understood that when she visited her grandmother. Because her grandmother would always call her pretty. In fact, Alicia was not sure if her dear grandmother was able to say her name without it being followed by the words "pretty girl". Alicia realized the difference between her mother's "beautiful", and her grandmother's "pretty", at the same time she realized that her grandmother did not know her at all. She had realized that her grandmother was not only just unable to say her name wit out it being followed by the words "pretty girl", she was also unable to say anything else about her granddaughter. So little did she know about her, and so little did she want to know about her, Alicia the pretty girl.