Vis Vires

In any normal society, killing one’s teacher is sort of a big no-no.  Even if it’s an accident and the intention was solely based on the premise of a sparring session, all the king’s horses and all the king’s men should drag the murderer away to a dank and lonely cell somewhere.  But at the Rousseau Institute of Genetic Modification, things were run a little differently.

So when Emelia Wesley stood over the limp body of her training instructor, she felt nothing.  She was called to the director’s office and explained in great detail what had happened and how it had felt to snap her teacher’s fragile neck.  The girl was 12 at the time and had more than bested the efforts of a 35 year old man who had been in the best shape of his life.  Obviously the scientists were doing something right, and the director’s training programs were successful as well.

Some of the scientists at the academy, however, were a little more skeptical about the lack of punishment for this young girl.  She had killed a man for heaven’s sake!  There should be justice!  But they were no longer the ones pulling the strings when it came to their creations, and they were more than well aware.  They had created a being that, at no taller than 158 centimeters and 45 kilos, killed a full grown man like it was nothing.  The worst part that seemed to come to these erratically moralled humans’ brains was the fact that the girl showed no remorse whatsoever.  What had they done?

Emelia was not scolded.  Her long, wavy ponytail was not tugged in punishment, nor was she haunted by her act of extreme violence.  In fact quite the opposite was true.  

She was rewarded for her ruthlessness.