Chapter 1

Sweat beaded my brows. My lips pressed firmly together as I attempt to keep my hands steady as possible. I could sense every fiber in me begging to move—to release the controlled energy I kept in check.

Just as I successfully placed the small screw in its hole I release a loud sigh. I fall back against my chair relieved my job was over.

"Hey, Y/n did you finish with the arm already or what?"

The door to my left flies open, I didn't bother glancing to that direction. Winry had bursted into the room carrying a box of spare parts or what not. I struggle to keep myself from groaning.

"Yeah," I sigh as I take a stand. "It was annoying as hell though."

"What are you talking about?" She drops the box on a nearby table and gives me an exasperated stare. It as if I said something so derogatory.

She wore her usual black tube top and crème jumper. Her hair tied away from her face—she had the appearance of an automail mechanic. Typical, I think.

While I, on the other hand, wore simple leggings and shirt. I wasn't much of a fan of mechanics. I shrug with a bored look and make my way to the door.

"Wait! Y/n!!" Winry whines for me, I could already imagine stomping her foot against the floor. "I thought you were gonna help?"

"I did," I clarify. "I fixed that arm. You can do the legs yourself, you know. I know you hate having me here."

I glance over my shoulder noticing how my last comment affected her. Her cheeks turned to a rouge color. Her deep blue eyes widening in panic. A small chuckle escapes me, I turn back around.

"T-that's not true!" She exclaims in a rush. "It's nice having you around."

"Uh-huh," I begin my walk out the room. "I'll be out."

"Where?" I hear her shout from the hall as I make my way down the staircase. "Just ——about," I reply dully.

Before she could say more I closed the door behind me, allowing the cool countryside air greet my nostrils. I gaze about the scene, taking notice to each typical aspect of Resembool.

Rolling green hills. Shepherds herding their sheep. A few village houses over the horizon. This was Resembool, a simple town away from the bustling of East City.

I look away and walk down the porch steps. It was peaceful here—sometimes too peaceful. The quiet atmosphere it brought me to my thoughts.

It forced me to tread into things I never wanted to think about—or remember. I clench my automail hand, sometimes the silence was a curse. I despised it more than myself on days like this.

I took a sharp right turn, knowing where I was like the back of my hand. I wasn't sure why headed this way, I never liked this beaten dirt path. As I continued my trek a small house slowly started to come into view.

Slowly I came to a stop, my feet resisting to move further. I swallow hard, this was close enough. For a brief moment I gaze upon the small white house at the end of the road.

The window panels were a faded blue now, weeds grew wherever they could. I knew I shouldn't have taken a turn here, my body simply moved on its own. Yet here I was, staring at the place I once called home.