T H I R T Y E I G H T

Soo Emi (Na Hyejin)

I take a cab after work and went straight to Hoseok's place. His address was shady in my memory, but I managed to remember it.

At first, I didn't plan on going to him. I was the one who told him to leave and got him all riled up.

But I couldn't stop thinking about him, especially after what I found on his computer. I knew if I went straight home, I would not be able to rest easy.

I want, no, I need him to stay with me.

Arriving at his home at the beginning of nightfall, I walk up the steps that lead to the front door, thinking of what I'm going to say to get him to stay.

I knock on his front door.

Should I be commanding?

Should I beg?

Should I tell him I invaded his privacy?

A brief moment passes and there was no answer at the door. I knock again and paid less attention to the endless questions floating inside my head.

"Come on, Hoseok." I whisper to myself and continued to knock. "Please, please, please."

There was still no answer, not even sounds of shuffling from the other side of the door.

I reach over and grabbed the doorknob, turning it. To my surprise, the door clicks open.

Is the universe is finally siding with me?

I enter the house quietly and closed the door behind me. Gulping, I tiptoe up the stairs and to his room.

His door was wide open and I peek inside.

I find him packing.

He was stuffing clothes in his suitcase, carelessly, not bothering to fold. It seemed like his mind was focused on something other than what he was doing.

He was obviously in distress. He paced back and fourth in the room, lazily throwing random things into the suitcase.

My heart ached just looking at him.

You know, I've never really seen him in such a non-intimidating way. He always has a strong, overpowering aura that follows him wherever he goes.

Right now, that aura is gone.

Taking a few breaths and finally coming to a conclusion on what to say to him, I knock on the door to reveal myself.

He instantly stops his pacing and looks to me. His soulless eyes widen, visibly gaining back some life.

I enter his room, keeping my hands together down in front of me as a way to showcase my peace.

"Emi, why are you here?" He asks, tugging at his hair. "I could charge you for entering my house without my consent. You could-"

"Let me talk, Hoseok." I slowly approach him. "And please listen to me. I'm being completely serious right now."

"Can't you see I'm busy?"

"Hoseok, listen to me." I raise my volume.

He gives me an intense gaze as I walk closer to him. For a brief moment, it seemed like he was going to yell at me again, but he doesn't.

He ruffles his hair and sits down on his bed.

"Go ahead." He mumbles, resting his elbows on his knees with his head down.

I stand in front of him, keeping a distance.

"I...I don't want you to go."

He looks up, visibly freezing.