007 - Successor

5/20/2004

One month had passed since you had left Japan for Wammy's House. You had spent so much valued time with the kids, but you were devastated by the fact that L couldn't be there with the three of you. You knew how much L missed you and the kids, and how much the kids missed their father. Watari video chatted with the kids every single day, earning the name 'Granpy Wammy'.

Your heart ached, thinking about how much you missed your husband. Would it be too dangerous to bring the kids with you back to Japan. Think logically, ___. Kira would kill all three of us to get to L. Don't be stupid - (fe/name) and (male/name) have no business being near Japan right now. Sighing, you held back a sob in front of your kids. Neither you or L will die during this investigation. L hasn't lost a case yet, so why would he start now?

"Mommy, when are you and daddy permanently coming home?" (Fe/name) asked.

Smiling with agony at your daughter, you replied. "I don't know, sweetheart. It may be a few months."

(Male/name) turned to you, gripping your hand. "But Mommy, Kira's killed everyone who's messed with him. I don't want to be an orphan like you and daddy!" He wailed.

(Fe/name) looked at him with anger. "Don't say that, stupid! Mommy and daddy went through a lot. They're gonna catch Kira. Nothing can stop mommy and daddy!" She hugged you tightly.

Be strong. You hugged them both very tightly. "I love you both so much."

You truly did understand why Aizawa wanted to leave the investigation.

*****************************************************************************

The next day, you quietly left the twins for some breakfast downstairs. They could handle themselves. Afterall, there was a nanny that used to be a former Wammy student with them, so everything would be fine. On your way down, you randomly saw Mello, who playfully waved at you. Oh, Mello... Snickering, you waved back. Matt was barely visible, sitting with his knees to his chest as he played a Game Boy. You walked towards the two, obviously catching Mello off guard. He relaxed his face, bracing himself for your former, boisterous personality. Raising your eyebrows, you saw the boy beginning to sweat.

What an idiot! Your smile was devilish, frightening the successor even more. Once you had made it to the two, you crouched down, looking at Matt. "Hello, Matt. I haven't seen you in ages."

He didn't even look up. "Who're you?"

"Computer #Y2." You glared.

That caught his attention. "No way." Matt smiled. "You look ancient enough to have run one of those PCs when you were a lovesick schoolgirl."

That caught you off guard. "Excuse me?" You tried to hide your blush.

"Oh, you must've forgotten. Wonder if L has..." Looking to Mello, the brunet smiled at the blond. "So this is the hot lady you've been telling me about."

Mello blushed, looking away. "I need to meet with someone..." He ran off.

"Look, Matt. That room is highly classified. Don't go in there again." You looked at the teen.

His Game Boy dinged. "It wasn't that hard to get in. When were you here last, the 90's? Your processors and firewalls are shit now. It didn't take me long to get in, let alone figure out the access codes for files."

"W-Were you the only one in there?" There were really old case files on those computers.

Matt shook his head. "I was the first, but more followed. Near beat Mello to it, but I showed him how the stuff works." This kid was making you sweat. He went on. "I knew what I was reading was very, very important to keeping L and his affairs safe. I updated your stuff, and no one has been able to crack it since I laid my hands on it."

"Thanks, Matt. Sorry for the rough spew." You turned around, preparing to leave for your stomach's sake.

"Don't you want the new codes, Tina?" Matt smiled, throwing you a stick drive. "Mello told me you were here. Figured you'd show your ass sometime."

You sighed. "Again, thanks."

*****************************************************************************

As you wanted to decrease the chances of Matt and Near going through your entries, you spent the next week adding software to your collection of computers. The models were so old, so you were surprised that a few of them even worked properly. You read through some of your journal entries, laughing at your old crush on your husband. Just for kicks, you decided to send one to L.

Dear Computer #3,

L is just...wow. I can't believe I live with someone as intelligent as him! He's too perfect to be true, especially since I lost my parents. I never thought that two people could give me the best since my parents died. I'm forever grateful to Wammy and L.

Love,

____

Dear Computer #7,

I know that L is going to ask me out soon. But what if he doesn't?! We've known each other for almost ten years, so what if I'm just like a sister to him?! GAH! He's so cute and sweet, what if he does have a crush on me? I've liked him romantically since I was ten, gosh darnit! I mean, it would be weird to date L, since we are practically brother and sister. What if we're just detective partners?! GAH!

Think, ___. Think. L wouldn't hog you across the world all the time with him and Wammy. What if he just feels bad that I have no one? Is that why he takes me with him?

Concerned,

___

There are more, but you decided these two were enough. You weren't feeling well enough to read the entries about your parents, so you avoided them. I can't think about the "what ifs?". I need to think about the here and now. Besides, if Wammy, L, and myself die, the kids are in safe hands. Roger and Nellie aren't going to let a fly touch our kids.

*************************************************************************************

5/15/2004

It had been a difficult choice, but you had finally come to a resolution. You would go back to Japan to aid with the Kira investigation. Since you had been here with the kids, you had decided not to learn case details from L. He tried to video chat with you and the kids at least twice a day, but that hadn't been so optionable lately. L requested a private call with you to be educated on your final decision.

L informed you of everything that had happened recently. "I don't want to believe that something supernatural could be involved with this case, but I'm afraid that's the direction it's pointing to."

"Shinigami? Gods of death are sure terrifying." You sighed.

"I started thinking of everything that could go wrong, and," L looked away from the computer. "I fell out of my chair..."

You gasped. "You're okay, right?! Everything's going to be fine, L. I promise."

He laughed. "I'm sure. Nothing wrong with me, just afraid of losing you, the kids, or you three losing me..."

Knowing what to do, you assured your husband. "L. We are going to get through this together. Kira cannot stop the Century's Greatest Detective, let alone his hellblazing wife."

L laughed a true laugh. "Thank you, ___."

"I'm coming back."

He looked stern. "Don't feel obligated,"

You shook your head. "I'm not obligated by you. I'm obligated by the ICPO. Get my drift?"

Knowing he couldn't convince you otherwise, he replied. "Of course. See you back soon, ___." L smiled at you, warming your heart. "And know this - you can't trust Light Yagami. Soichiro and his son are very close, so don't confide any parental stuff in each other. Get my drift?"

"I get your drift."