Chapter Three

Chapter Three

--------------------

Melanie's P.O.V.

Ugh.

My life sucked at the moment. My older sister, Laura, graduated from her college, and she was finally home to take care of me and my broken ankle.

I forgot to mention, she was nice but pretty annoying, but she didn't know it.

Ty broke up with me, adding to the list of things that sucked in my life right now. He said that he hated how I "blew him off" with the fro-yo thing yesterday. But I had to be at the hospital, don't mind me. Laura bought me vanilla flavored ice cream for the occasion.

I was pretty sure Laura was downstairs finishing up some college stuff, even after she graduated. I snuck down to grab some chips from the kitchen.

"Aren't you supposed to be in bed?" Laura's shockingly harsh voice made me jump.

"Sorry, I..." I trailed off, but Laura continued what I was saying.

"You were trying to sneak past me, is that it? Melanie, I only want what's best for you. You need to be in bed. If you need anything, just shout. In the meantime, play with your phone, watch T.V., do something, just don't get out of bed, yes?" she looked at me like she was serious, and then tipped up her black glasses.

"Mel, you need to promise me that you won't get out of bed, okay? I'm going to go shopping, and then I'll pick up your medicine." Laura slid on her jacket, grabbed her purse, and put her dirty-blonde hair into a messy bun.

I nodded. Laura left.

I finally made it up the stairs without killing my broken ankle, and I continued eating my chips and began watching the next season of PLL.

It was almost 8:00, and Laura wasn't back yet. I had watched eight episodes of PLL, and my eyes began to droop. Just as I was about doze off, my phone rang. It was Keaton. We exchanged phone numbers in school the other day.

The problem was that my phone was on the other side of my room. I wanted to grab it to text him back, but I had only a tiny sliver of motivation.

I finally made the effort to get my phone off of the T.V. stand and text Keaton back.

' From: Keaton:

Can I hang at your place? I want to know how you're doing. I got a new movie from Red Box this afternoon, it's The Croods. I know, I know, it's a kid's movie. But we'll have fun, ok? :)'

' From: Melanie:

I don't mind :P I watched it with my little cousin the other day, but we can watch it. Come over ASAP. I'm sooo bored!'

I laid back in my bed, just thinking about life while I was waiting for Keaton to text back. Wow. In a minimum of less than two days of knowing this boy, we were already friends. And it seemed that he liked me. Like, liked me. Wow.

In less than 10 minutes, Keaton was already knocking on my front door. I tried to go fast going down the stairs, but I was afraid I'd fall and break the rest of my body.

Once I battled getting down the stairs, I placed my crutches where they could lean on the kitchen counter. My hands were free, and I decided to brush my hair a little to make myself the least bit presentable.

The door was finally opened, and I smiled at what I saw. Keaton was holding 3 red roses and The Croods DVD. "I thought, cause you know, your boyfriend broke up with you..." he said. This time there were no tears. all I wanted was to be happy.

"Thank you. So much. You don't even know how happy this makes me feel. My life is suckish right now." I said. Keaton placed the roses in my hands and I walked to the sink to put the flowers in a vase.

"How are you feeling? Is your ankle feeling okay?" Keaton sat down on a barstool and placed the movie on the counter.

"Yeah, my ankle is definitely the worst part. I can't skate, I can't walk, I can't even pee without someone having to help me." I said it because it was true.

"Huh. I broke my ankle once when I was in 5th grade. I couldn't even walk without my foot hurting. I suspect that's how you feel too." I nodded.

"Do you want anything to eat? Drink?" I asked him, trying to be a good host.

"Yeah. I'll have some sprite please, if you have any." he asked.

"We never buy soda," I shook my head. "but you can have water." I smiled a little at my response. Keaton seemed to smile too.

"I'll get the water myself, it will save you the trouble." Keaton got up and I pointed to the cabinet where we kept the cups.

Once he came back, water in hand, he slid the movie into the DVR, where I dragged the cast on my foot to the couch where I sat next to Keaton. I looked out the window. It was dark as usual.

"Oh yeah, I forgot..." Keaton pulled up my ice cream tub with two spoons inserted in it so we could share. "I got this out of the freezer when I went to get my water." my eyes widened in excitement.

"Oh my God. You are truly the best." I looked up and giggled at him. I started the movie and we ate the ice cream together.

Sharing the ice cream was so much better than eating it all by myself. I actually felt happy, and a lot healthier. Keaton gripped the sleeve of his sweatshirt and wiped my face of the white and sugary dessert off of the tip of my nose.

About a half hour before the movie was over, I was getting tired from being drugged. I found myself laying on Keaton's lap and he was playing with my hair. I was dead asleep.